What's new
What's new

South Bend? Please help.

Margie

Plastic
I inherited this lathe from my Grandfather. I want to learn to use it, but I can not find a name on it and do not have a manual. Can anyone tell me about it?
On another board here, Allen told me it was a South Bend, and told me were to find the serial number. Can anyone tell me the model by the serial number? It's 41334A.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 347
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 321
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 353
Built in early 1929, it is a 9" Junior, probably a 22-AB, you would have to measure the bed length to be sure. See this 1928 catalog for more info: catalog 15R The most notable difference between your machine and the 1928 models is probably the relocated half-nut lever on the front of the apron.

allan

The bed is 3 1/2 feet long. Does that make it a 22-ZB or a 22-Z?
I saw on the Grizzly web site that they sale "serial number cards" for $25. They say without this you won't have the info you need to buy parts. Is this true? Is it something I need?

It is a 22-ZB, because it has bench mount legs, not floor mount. Frankly, Grizzly just wants your $25. The only thing you get on these old lathes is a single line from a ledger, which lists the date, the catalog number, and the name of the company or dealer they shipped it to. You don't need anything there to get parts.

allan

I seriously doubt Grizzly has any parts for that lathe. I have one of them and have never found any parts for the machine at Grizzly. Oh sure, you can buy drills, chucks, lathe centers, cutting tools, etc but nothing specific for the lathe itself.

Sources for parts are going to be eBay (be careful), this forum, or possibly Plaza Machinery but that lathe is very old so parts are going to be hard to find.

Last edited:
The carriage does not want to move by hand. I think it will move when engaged with the drive, but I have not turned it on yet. The gear that turns when I turn the hand crank does not engage the teeth that run along the bed. Also, the hand crank on the tail stock does not seem to move anything.

The hand wheel on the apron turns, but the carriage does not move? You'll have to use a mirror to see the back of the apron- perhaps the pinion shaft is damaged or missing. The tailstock quill is over extended- push the quill back in, while turning the handwheel counter clockwise. It will catch the nut eventually.

allan

you need to get a copy of South Bends little book How To Run a Lathe, lots of information
there. I like the paper copy but you can view it on line, do a search. When you get the lathe apart
you can see what is jamming it up.

you need to get a copy of South Bends little book How To Run a Lathe, lots of information
there. I like the paper copy but you can view it on line, do a search. When you get the lathe apart
you can see what is jamming it up.

Linked to in post 5 of Margie's thread I linked to in post #2 in this thread

Back