Largest Manufacturing Technology
Community On The Web
Close
Login to Your Account

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i have a south bend nordic 15 lathe. i was wondering what oil it specs for the headstock, and saddle

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by caddyman707 View Post
    i have a south bend nordic 15 lathe. i was wondering what oil it specs for the headstock, and saddle
    The manual says S.A.E. 30 I don't like that
    I would use a medium hydrolic oil
    Ted

BTW: Do you need a manual ??

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SBLatheman View Post
    The manual says S.A.E. 30 I don't like that
    I would use a medium hydrolic oil
    Ted

BTW: Do you need a manual ??
    Would medium be like a 46? I need a manual and a cross screw if you know a source.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

yes i need a manual

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mickfinch View Post
    Brad,

Thanks for the plug, those kits came about after years of explaining to customers why I didn't offer the "A B C Oils", on my website or Ebay. Thank you for convincing me to try to market them together, one more time. The Spindle and Way oil had been selling pretty well, but the DTE Heavy/Medium (the C Oil) didn't exactly fly off the shelves, like I was told it would (of coarse I never mentioned it was the C Oil).
    Your argument that other operators WOULD buy the kits in pint or larger quantities was pretty convincing, and it was off to the races. It took a little time to get all the details in place, so that I could ship the kits quickly. The current incarnation of 16 ounces of (each) A, B, C, and Way oils ship out the next day, and so far have been well recieved.
    Thanks again Brad, for pushing me to put this package together, I don't know what took me so long to see the light. As long as I can get the Mobil oils to put these kits together, and the South Bend community has a need for them, they will be available.

Regards,
    Mick Finch
    bluechipmachineshop.com
    I just received my kit the other day. For me this was the only way to fly. I just don't need another four gallons (or even quarts) of oddball oil that will take up shelf space in my garage for the next 10 years. I am still finding quarts of fork oil from my motorcycle days 15 years ago laying around. I am going to make a nice shelf for the four bottles and mount it to the wall next to my 10L.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mickfinch View Post
    Brad,

Thanks for the plug, those kits came about after years of explaining to customers why I didn't offer the "A B C Oils", on my website or Ebay. Thank you for convincing me to try to market them together, one more time. The Spindle and Way oil had been selling pretty well, but the DTE Heavy/Medium (the C Oil) didn't exactly fly off the shelves, like I was told it would (of coarse I never mentioned it was the C Oil).
    Your argument that other operators WOULD buy the kits in pint or larger quantities was pretty convincing, and it was off to the races. It took a little time to get all the details in place, so that I could ship the kits quickly. The current incarnation of 16 ounces of (each) A, B, C, and Way oils ship out the next day, and so far have been well recieved.
    Thanks again Brad, for pushing me to put this package together, I don't know what took me so long to see the light. As long as I can get the Mobil oils to put these kits together, and the South Bend community has a need for them, they will be available.

Regards,
    Mick Finch
    bluechipmachineshop.com
    Gosh that is a pretty picture

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would like to thank you guys for the kind words, regarding these lube kits. I've gotten alot of Emails that have been very supportive, and I appreciate them. A couple of weeks ago I had a REALLY bad experience with Paypal shipping through Ebay, and they sent a bunch (about 20) of my shipments to Russia. Needless to say, I ended all of my auctions, and had to refund all of my customer's funds. Its been a very frustrating (and expensive) couple of weeks. Deliveries on my website were unaffected, and they are arriving on time, but as of right now Ebay sales are totally on hold.
    I went through the usual "customer service" protocol to fix the problem, with absolutely no results, and SWORE I would never sell on Ebay again, but have cooled off a bit, and think that I will probably try again next week (after a few test runs). People seem to like the security and feedback system Ebay uses, and I understand that. As soon as I can guarantee that their security is as good as the one installed on my site, I will try it again, but for right now (and the next week or so) the ABC kits are only available here:

SBL A, B and C Oils - Lubricants - Blue Chip Machine Shop - (Powered by CubeCart)

The only bright side of this is that it prompted me to take out an ad in Home Shop Machinist Magazine (a little ahead of schedule), to compensate for the loss of sales on Ebay. Its something i had planned on for a while, but it has given me 15 new angles to look at the business from. So the kits ARE available "as long as the South Bend community has a need for them", but for the next week or so; you might have to look a little harder for them.

Regards,
    Mick Finch
    bluechipmachineshop.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the update Mick!

I was just looking for the oil kits a few days ago on ebay and saw that your store was empty.
    Now i know why!

Will be placing an order soon for the oils through your website!

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mike,

I bought your kit a couple months back as I was rebuilding my 9A. I now have it up and running. I love the kits, and I imagine I'll be buying more in the future. Thanks for all your efforts.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just ordered one of your kits on your sight. Looking forward to getting it.
    Jerry

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What about the teflon lubricant that goes in the spindle cone?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

An easy way to split and store lube oil is to use 1 qt motor oil plastic bottles. Wash them out, and they should work fine. I rebuilt a truck differential a long time ago, and the 90 wt for the axle came in qt bottles with a nozzle. The manufacturer's label was shrink-wrapped plastic that came off in 2 seconds - a magic marker took care of adding the data to the bottles. After I drained the bottles, I sloshed them out with mineral spirits a few times, then some drying time in the sun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On my model 405 9 inch what is best to lube the change gears...grease or oil?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oil - grease tends to hang onto debris and swarf.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

thank you, oil it is then, it would be great if I had the original owners manual for it but got a How to run a lathe book coming in the mail.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just for S's&G's I looked up the US NAVY PM card for submarine and shipboard lathes (since all of the submarines Ive stepped foot on have a Southbend sitting in the engineroom). The PM card specifies 2190 TEP as the lubricating oil. Which comes as a complete shock since thats all they use that stuff for EVERYTHING. Its the standard hydraulic system oil, as well as the lube oil used on rotating steam turbines and equipment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by freeclimbmtb View Post
    Just for S's&G's I looked up the US NAVY PM card for submarine and shipboard lathes (since all of the submarines Ive stepped foot on have a Southbend sitting in the engineroom). The PM card specifies 2190 TEP as the lubricating oil. Which comes as a complete shock since thats all they use that stuff for EVERYTHING. Its the standard hydraulic system oil, as well as the lube oil used on rotating steam turbines and equipment.
    They may care less about whether the lathe lasts for a decade of production work than about how many lubricants they have to keep on board a submarine, where storage space is at a premium.

I mean, how many hours will they actually put on it?

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Another question is, how much oil to add to the spindle cone in the hole marked "oil" The literature says fill but I've heard that you shouldn't fill it for fear of galling the bearings. How much oil is too much for the spindle cone?