What's new
What's new

need help with sb13 inch

metal works

Aluminum
Guys, I need a little help with a S B 13 inch lathe. I'm trying to put together a collet closer from parts and pieces. I believe I have everything I need to complete the task. I just need a little help. I bought a complete closer tube from a larger lathe and it is too long. I would hope someone could give me a little direction. Any help would be appreciated.. Thanks, Mike

I have a 13" and a 10L. The 10L has a collet tube so I can describe what parts are needed but I have never adapted a longer tube to a shorter spindle although I have a longer tube and hope to do so one winter day.

It you have a threaded spindle, you will need a spindle taper to 5C taper adapter and a threaded collar to retain the adapter in the spindle. I forget the south bend names for these parts and do not have my parts manual handy. You will need to reduce the length of the over length tube. I would install the 5C adapter then insert the tube and a collet, thread the adapter onto the collet leaving enough threads to pull the collet tight then measure between the outboard end of the spindle and the tapered collar at the outboard end of the tube. This should tell you how much the tube needs to be shortened.

I have a tube from a 16" lathe and it has a bad thread where the collet threads into the tube. I plan to cut my tube to the necessary length and cut a new internal thread to engage the collet. The thread OD and pitch is available in the 5C collet standards. I remember someone posting them here a few years ago.

measurements from an actual 13" collet tube will help you but you should post the type spindle you have: threaded, D1-4 or L-0 as it will make a difference in the tube length.

If you look at your serial card you will see that the length of the spindle is on there.It varies.What you need to do is assemble the stuff you have and determine the difference between what you have and what you need.You can then either make a bushing or move the wheel on the tube to correct the error.Count the threads on the collett and make sure you have at least half of them engaged when you are tight on a piece of stock that is the exact dimension of the collett.This is not a one shot process,you will need to test it carefully.If as you say the tube is too long,you are in luck.You can make bushings to give you perfect action...

Back