What's new
What's new

South Bend Turret lathe question.

vonblowseph

Cast Iron
A lathe has come up for sale in my area and everything seems right for it to meet my criteria for purchase.

South Bend Turret Lathe

I have never owned but have used a turret lathe for a couple of months. Different than this one. I think that they are fun to operate, fast and functional compared to normal tailstock machines? At any rate, they can speed up a job, which I like.

I would like to use the lathe mostly for hobby work. My only hang up is that I would like to have the ability to cut tapers, not necessarily with a taper attachment, but at least with a compound. This machine is not equipped with a compound, how difficult would it be to put one on this machine?

I would love to hear your advice on how to achieve this.

Thanks,
Joey

it would not be hard to put a compound on.....but you need to find one first{that may be the hard part}

Agree. Looks easy enough to add something given the mass under it to work with. There are even T-slots to bolt it down with if you don't watn to drill and tap the existing cross slide. But "what" to use might be interesting including whether you are up to making your own. There's lots of single axis slides out there that could be used, if the travel, height and general configuration fit your expectations.

smt

Back