What's new
What's new

South Bend Vintage 9" 22-Y Lathe. Need Setup Advice

Plastic
Gentlemen:
Came into this 22-Y 9" 3' machine. 9" Junior, I assume. SN 43622 A.
Was at father-in-laws last 15 yrs. Did not run too much.

Cannot find much info on 22-Y's. Lots of stuff on other 9", but not on this straight 22-Y.
What other lathes is it compatible with for parts/repair/info?

Appears in decent shape, seems tight, good bed.
Motor probably original, runs, am replacing and probably adding a VFD.

Has replacement self-centering 3 jaw #3565-5"chuck. Bitch to get less than .015. Wondering if it was crashed. Might put the original back on. Have it and another in attached pics. Advise?

Need to replace felts, and clean up at a minimum. Wonder where to buy or how to make felts?

Think I'm gonna have a misaligned tailstock too. If zeroing or replacement with original does not fix it, may I assume I have a bad morse taper in the tailstock? Will a taper reamer fix it or is a chuck center grind better?

New to metal lathes. Mechanically minded, love to tinker and keep old quality things working, have complete wood shop.

Any advice and sourcing on getting this machine working right is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1185[1].jpg
    IMG_1185[1].jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 332
  • IMG_1181[1].jpg
    IMG_1181[1].jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_1179[1].jpg
    IMG_1179[1].jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG_1178[1].jpg
    IMG_1178[1].jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 443
  • IMG_1184[2].jpg
    IMG_1184[2].jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 288
Whoa, that's a Bison set tru chuck...VERY NICE...do you understand how to use a set tru chuck??

To check your tailstock chuck up a piece of steel a little larger than the tailstock quill with a couple inches sticking out of the chuck,ten it to the EXACT diameter of the tailstock quill(use micrometer to measure)

Then you have a direct reference to compare your tailstock quill to by extending the quill,lightly locking it, and sliding the whole tailstock up to meet the piece you turned, cant type so hopefully others will reply.

Get Steve Brooks' book on rebuilding the South Bend 9" lathe (you can get it on ebay.

Not 100% your lathe, but a lot of it will be similar.

He also sells all the wicks. You would probably get the rebuild kit for the 9C. You can ask him thru ebay what would be appropriate.

Don't go reaming, grinding or cutting anything until you understand things. Your tailstock misalignment might just be an adjustment.

Find a copy of the book "how to run a lathe" You can google and download an older copy. Look on vintagemachinery.org or wswells.com.

Good luck with it and ask a lot of questions. The guys here are great in helping others along with their projects.

Steve

I have to disagree about Steve Brooks EXCELLENT book...it will be of no use for this machine...there really is no book for this machine nor is one needed.

I have the a 1927 22-YB, and will concur with Chad. There are almost no felts in this machine, and no parts interchange with the 9" workshop (other than tooling). No reason to get the rebuild book.

Two things of spring to mind: 1. you appear to have a replacement cross slide, perhaps the one from MLA tools, 2: based on the style of headstock guards and the position of the half-nut lever, I'd guess you have a 1928 or 29 machine. Serial number confirms early to mid 1929. Don't bother asking Grizzly for any info on it, they don't give you anything good on these old lathes.

EDIT: I have to amend one thing I said above- That looks like a 9" workshop compound on that MLA cross slide. The original cross slide and compound are in one of your pictures. There would also be an oddly shaped cast iron cover that drops over a couple pins on the back of the cross slide.

allan

I also have a 9" Jr, and I can agree with what kitno says, (about the felts)..there are few, and while you can get kits on ebay, when I put new felts in my lathe only a couple of weeks ago i took the advice of another guy, "The Ronald" who suggested I get the felts in this link: 2/pk FM6732OWH Off-White Felt 6" Wide x 6" Long x 7/32" Thick Hard F-1/Duro-Felt | eBay (Im sure you can find similar)
While your lathe obviously isnt exactly the same, it should share many of the same features. I found these felts to work good in almost every place I put them, with the right cutting....
as for parts.. ebay is the best option, and being a Junior lathe you need to look for "Heavy 9", "Wide Bed 9" or of course "Junior 9" parts(from what I've read elsewhere on the forum)

Good luck,
-Aaron

Thanks Diamond.
With a little research, time, trial and error, I was able to get the Bison to less than .001.
The tail stock is close, maybe off a bit in height. Took it apart to clean and found some ridging. Probably need to lightly ream these out, but will have to get a MT2 reamer.

Back