What's new
What's new

South Bend Wiring Issue

dylanxpeters

Plastic
Hi guys. I'm new to the forum and working on setting up some stuff for my new found hobby of manual machining.

I recently picked up a C model 9" south bend lathe. No matter how I connect the wires, the dang thing will only turn in reverse, with either switch position.

It has a Walker Turner KAB-5e motor. Throughout all of my searching and troubleshooting I have found that typically the wires coming out of the motor are colored, however mine are not.

There are 4 black wires labled 1-2-3-4, and two red wires with no labels. When I brought it home, one red wire plus wires 1+2 were wire nutted together. The other red plus wires 3-4 were nutted together.

Some background on myself, I'm an aircraft mechanic and build small airplanes in my spare time. I have a good solid understanding of DC 12/24v electrical system. 120/240v AC........not so much.

I will attach a couple of photos. Any advice?
IMG_7057.jpgIMG_7056.jpgIMG_7058.jpg

Well, you've not shown us the wiring diagram on either the motor or the switch, or told us what voltage you want to run, so it is hard to help you. But, generally these appear to have been 4 wire motors, with the start winding connected internally. Given that yours has 6 wires, I assume someone went in and extracted the start winding. Assuming they used red wire for that (which would be typical), then if you swap the two red wires, it should run in the opposite direction. If it does not, you'd have to actually open the bell housing on the motor, and trace it out.

allan

Photo of motor nameplate helps.

Google motor model and you may find a diagram.

May be dual voltage and reversable as option

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

I will attach a photo of the dataplate.image1.jpg

FIY everyone i am setting this up with 120v power

Back