Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default South Bend Wiring Issue

Hi guys. I'm new to the forum and working on setting up some stuff for my new found hobby of manual machining.

I recently picked up a C model 9" south bend lathe. No matter how I connect the wires, the dang thing will only turn in reverse, with either switch position.

It has a Walker Turner KAB-5e motor. Throughout all of my searching and troubleshooting I have found that typically the wires coming out of the motor are colored, however mine are not.

There are 4 black wires labled 1-2-3-4, and two red wires with no labels. When I brought it home, one red wire plus wires 1+2 were wire nutted together. The other red plus wires 3-4 were nutted together.

Some background on myself, I'm an aircraft mechanic and build small airplanes in my spare time. I have a good solid understanding of DC 12/24v electrical system. 120/240v AC........not so much.

I will attach a couple of photos. Any advice?
    img_7057.jpgimg_7056.jpgimg_7058.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Photo of motor nameplate helps.

Google motor model and you may find a diagram.

May be dual voltage and reversable as option

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Does the motor have a capacitor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by USNmechanic View Post
    Does the motor have a capacitor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes it does.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, you've not shown us the wiring diagram on either the motor or the switch, or told us what voltage you want to run, so it is hard to help you. But, generally these appear to have been 4 wire motors, with the start winding connected internally. Given that yours has 6 wires, I assume someone went in and extracted the start winding. Assuming they used red wire for that (which would be typical), then if you swap the two red wires, it should run in the opposite direction. If it does not, you'd have to actually open the bell housing on the motor, and trace it out.

allan

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Quiring View Post
    Photo of motor nameplate helps.

Google motor model and you may find a diagram.

May be dual voltage and reversable as option

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk
    I will attach a photo of the dataplate.image1.jpg

FIY everyone i am setting this up with 120v power

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Can't help completely, but (obviously) from the plate, that is a dual-volatage (110 or 220) volt motor, likely reversible, and probably old enough to where any wire color conventions were not used. It appears you have no wiring diagram (nothing on the box plate etc?) for hookup, which would tell which wire combinations for 110 or 220 volt hookup, and the ones to switch for reversing (why there is the 4-wire going from the switch to motor). Borrowing finding the wiring plate, it can be a bit involved determining which wires need to be connected together. which involves measuring the resistance of the various windings, and perhaps taking the end off the motor to actually help see where things are connected. A quick search yielded the following thread
    [How do I?] - 1" Atlas Lathe Wiring Furnas Drum Switch L-143-c An 11v Motor | The Hobby-Machinist Forums

and the following wiring sketch in the above link:
    http://www.sailmahalo.com/picture_co...0V_Correct.png
    (again with no diagram, determining what wires are what requires measuring resistances and such of the winding combinations).

Also, note that the wires can be hooked up incorrectly and the motor will still run, but not operate properly). If in the end it can't be easily deciphered:
    a)get some help from someone knowledgeable about motors, or perhaps take it to a motor-shop (probably short-work for them).
    b) highly recommend getting a 3-phase motor and VFD (you can still use 110v input and the switch if desired for fwd/stop/rev); this will run MUCH smoother, quieter and with less vibration, have infinitely variable speed, soft-start/stop (versus the lathe jumping every time it's turned off/on), and the ability to adjust the speed slightly to eliminate resonances. A brand new (recommend not buying a used one) 3p 1/2 hp motor can be had cheap off of ebay, and a Teco FM50 1/2 HP VFD for $100. Plenty of info here if searched. Cheers