What's new
What's new

Southbend 10 runout adjustment ?

silver star

Aluminum
Even though I do this for recreation I am embarrassed to ask.
But I have a project on the machine that I cannot take down to experiment with my question and find the answer. I hope someone has time for this.
I’m turning a project 25” long.
Head is centered in 4 jaw.
I have a steady rest close to middle.
At tail stock I have .002 runout..bigger than same fine cut at steady rest.
I have managed to totally confuse myself on the adjustment.
Here goes.
I need to move tail stock closer to me to reduce the overrun by .002.
How much do I need to move the tailstock in order to accomplish this.
.0005, .001, .002, .004?
Thanks for your time.

Constant taper at the whole part length you would move one end half the error. But a taper in a small section wold be different. Guess you should tell the distance you find the error.

You might mark the chuck jaws 1 2 3 4. then indicate the part problem area in the 4 positions, then move the high end half the average. Taking a very light skim to take only a little so not to go under, when getting dangerous finish with cloth.

* Qt iwana10k post 3:[assuming you really mean taper and not run out?] good point make that clear.

can you post a pic? I am assuming you really mean taper and not run out?

My first thought is that is a VERY over-constrained set up and .002" over 25" is almost nothing and in file territory.

but I am unclear if you are actually turning a 25" lengthe or just turning the end??

assuming your set up is necessary instead of trying to adjust tailstock offset it is a pretty sure bet you tailstock is not dead nuts perfect and simply changing how far it is extended will give you a finer, more controlled adjustment...Check how the tailstock is actually pointing, likely it is pointing a little away so adjust accordingly.

Constant taper at the whole part length you would move one end half the error. But a taper in a small section wold be different. Guess you should tell the distance you find the error.

You might mark the chuck jaws 1 2 3 4. then indicate the part problem area in the 4 positions, then move the high end half the average. Taking a very light skim to take only a little so not to go under, when getting dangerous finish with cloth.

* Qt iwana10k post 3:[assuming you really mean taper and not run out?] good point make that clear.

Thanks for the reply.
Taper would be correct, my bad.

Thanks for the reply.
Taper would be correct, my bad.

*Should have added after the move find half the error, in the error length with your indicator, in the direction that would take stock from the higher side..blue it up to know when you are getting close to clean up.

Measure it to know you are straight before you clean up..perhaps 1/2 way to clean-up or just enough to measure in two places.

Work at tailstock is .002 away from cutter.
Sounds like in a perfect world to reduce this .002 taper I would move work .001 toward cutter and retest.
Thanks for the help folks.
Michael

Back