What's new
What's new

Southbend 11" apron repair and rebuild

Ronniet

Aluminum
This is the apron from my 11" SB 1934.
The piece wher the Thrad dial secures has always been broken since I got it 25 years ago.
When i got the lathe I dint have the skill to repair so good sense made me leave it alone.
Lately I decided to rebuild the lathe again and I wanted to fix the TD area since I found a TD for it.
I have soldered in my business daily for the past 20 years and thought I would take a stab at it on cast iron.
After talking with Dennis Turk I decided to try it on.
I belive the reair is good and will be there always.
I fitted a piece of CF 1018 int the broken area after good clean up and filing and polishing of the area.
After fluxing and heathing the cast I applied the flux to the polished area before I contaimanted it with more carbon. I saw the solder would stick to the polished cast then I applied my fitted 1018 fluxed piece to it and it soldered into place.
After cooling I clean all flux off and filed to shape the new piece, and drilled and tapped the hole to original location.
But instead of using a bolt I made a stud with searated nut so the stud can be loctited into place and only the nut for turning in and out.
I hope My pictures load for you , Photo bucket is new to me.
rontphoto's Story by rontphoto | Photobucket
Thanks
Ron
You may have to change your desktop down to 75% if pictures are too large to view? scroll left to right.
The 7.5" 4 jaw union chuck has a back plate of 1 5/8" and I refinished the chuck.
If I can find pictures of how it looked when I got it , its a different story. Now is a useable tool. Was a bucket of rust.

Hello Gary, used 45% silver solder and I like the brown flux other than the handy flux, as it lends it self to a higher temperture it seems before burning and scaling.
Some would have brazed it, I never liked brazing as I saw a lot of it fail to hold.
R.

Found a couple pictures of the chuck as I found it, I was going to slavage the backplate but upon farther inspection I found it looked worse than is was.
In my opinion the backing plate just needs a little cleaning.
The four jaw has been abused (chipped jaw) but with some cleaning probably could be made serviceable.

In my opinion the backing plate just needs a little cleaning.
The four jaw has been abused (chipped jaw) but with some cleaning probably could be made serviceable.

The jaw was not chipped, I thought it was also from the pictures but when I received it, it was chalk of paint? The jaws are hardened .
See the pictures of it finished, mostly on the smooth surfaces needed only buffing and scotch brite, on the rough cast parts I bead blasted it clean.
the screws only needed a low speed buffing that all, the jaws I buffed and gun blued them.
I built a low speed buffer, ( 450 rpm) for rust bluing, works good for putting a satin sheen on surface rusted metals.
R.

Back