What's new
What's new

Bad headstock bearings on my 1930 SB 16"

Barry 16"

Aluminum
I noticed the other day that the bolts on my front bearing caps were loose. If I snugged them up it locked up the spindle. So I figured I had a shim problem in there. When I took cap off; I found only 1 set of .028 brass shims and some plastic half in place under there. The wicks are packed with crud: and the spindle and bearings have nasty grooves wore in them. Is this lathe junk? can the bearings be replaced? or am I able to clean it up and polish the surfaces up a little bit and would they be ok ?

Attachments

• IMG_3375-2.jpg
    IMG_3375-2.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 162
Far from junk. I have seen (and used) far worse. I would clean it all up, add fresh wicks and shims as needed, lube it, adjust it, and run the lathe. Given the spindle speeds you might see, and the use in general that you would probably get from this lathe, that will not be your problem. If you feel really motivated, you can make some new bearings and grind/polish the spindle. But I think you will be ok. look at it this way, once cleaned those scratches will hold more oil.

Best of luck to you,

Marc

Far from junk. I have seen (and used) far worse. I would clean it all up, add fresh wicks and shims as needed, lube it, adjust it, and run the lathe. Given the spindle speeds you might see, and the use in general that you would probably get from this lathe, that will not be your problem. If you feel really motivated, you can make some new bearings and grind/polish the spindle. But I think you will be ok. look at it this way, once cleaned those scratches will hold more oil.

Best of luck to you,

Marc

What he said!

Those look fine. Make sure there are no adhered lumps on the spindle. If there are, scrape them off with something soft like aluminum or brass. Do not polish or otherwise alter the OD of the spindle. Clean the oil passages, put in clean felt in the split line and the oiler, add proper thickness shims. Back in business.

allan

Back