What's new
What's new

Southbend Lathe 400

mcafee

Plastic
Looking for information on Southbend Lathe 400. This machine serial number is 20191. Especially a electrical diagram. This machine data tag specs diagram PT11718-1. Thanks!

Yes, it has been a nice machine. We have it in our tool room. Starting having some issues with toggle switch. Moving from low to high range. Be nice to have electrical diagram. I may have to run wiring.

Mcafee. I have a SBL400.
I rebuilt the electrical panel since schematics are not available. I have this information as a PDF if you want it. The only problem I have had is with the motor. the previous owner wired the motor to run as a single speed. if yours runs as a two speed, I would be interested how your motor leads are set up for two speeds. Be mindful of the oil pump also, recently had the internal drive pin fall out and no oil circulating, but was an easy fix.

Recently bought a SB 400 off a local Community College (SN 020354). Included with the lathe was SB Bulletin 8315: 20 page manual and a 59 page parts list (parts manual is pull out drawings/parts breakout). Manual has a 1 page overall 3 phase electrical diagram, some info on the magnetic control box placement, and another page on the wiring diagram for the coolant pump. No date on the manual but the blueprint drawings are dated 1-83.

If you don't have this and it is what you are looking for PM me and will figure out how to get you a copy. Would normally scan and post over on Vintage Machinery, but as this lathe is Asian origin can't do that.

Last edited:
Iwilbur
I have a SBL400.
I would be interested in a copy of the manual. I have the parts manual.
I would like any info. on how the motor leads are connected if yours is a two speed hi-low switchable. I am trying to avoid pulling the motor to take it to a repair shop to get it figured out.
Many thanks.

Here is a quick scan of the electrical diagram (will need to pull manual apart to get better scans, but this will do for the moment to see if this helps):

I haven't scanned the whole manual yet, but will. PM me info on how I can send it to you--email or snail mail would work. May be to large to send via email but could put on disk and send it.

Yes mine is a 2 speed switchable model. If you need more info than the schematic provides I can dig into mine further. Let me know what you need.

May be some delay as headed out on vacation for most of this coming week, but will get back to you.

Iwilbur
Many thanks for posting the schematic. This will give me a way of checking out what I have motor wise. I may have a winding problem from looking over the schematic.
At your convenience, please scan the manual if it is not a lot of trouble. A PDF file that could be zipped may enable an email to go through to me and others. When I get this all figured out, I will send you my electrical schematic I made in AutoCAD/PDF if you want it.
Many thanks

Iwilbur

I will pay you for a copy of that manual. I've been going through restoring my South Bend 400 but there is such limited information online about them.

Please email me at [email protected]

Back