What's new
What's new

Southbend Lathe Help Reqd

redlee

Titanium
IMG_4597.jpgIMG_4596.jpg
First time working on a SB. Need to replace belt and do a general cleanup for a friend.
How do you remove the shaft,alls loose ,shaft turns and Im assuming it needs to be tapped out but dont want to hurt anything.
Thanks

Why do you want to remove the shaft. it will not allow you to get the belt off the machine. This machine uses a spliced belt only. You must cut the belt off, then splice a new belt in its place. There are several threads on this form telling you how to do that.

The spindle should be pressed out using a long screw, a piece of PVC pipe and large heavy washers. Place the PVC pipe over the threaded portion of the spindle, right-hand side, slide the screw through the spindle. Placed the heavy washers on each end along with the nuts, and start tightening. This should press the spindle off safely.

When reinstalling the spindle, first locate the two holes on front of the headstock that are in line with the felt wicks. place a small pin through these holes to pin the felt down and keep them from interfering with the spindle installation. reverse the process. apply plenty of Oil on the bearings. And be careful to line up the key with the bull gear.

Stay safe and have fun.

Joe.

I watched a video of a guy removing his main spindle, used threaded rod and wood,applied alot of pressure it finally broke loose.
He said the Bull Gear is the only thing holding it in,so I warmed up the Bull Gear with a Propane torch. Just to the point where you couldnt keep your hand on it ,took a dead blow hammer and tapped it out. Real easy.
Not sure why you would want to put alot of stress on a casting when you can gently remove it.

I don't know why that guy in the video had to use a hammer. It should not have been necessary.

Take a look at this video. It shows how easy the removal can be.

SouthBend 9 spindle removal. - YouTube

Using this method there is minimal stress on the bearings.

Properly applied force always works best, with minimal effort and with minimal if any damage.

stay safe and have fun.

Joe.

The key is probably in there crooked so its binding. Its also not drilled all the way through. If you can get the key to come out the handle should come right off. Getting that to happen can be a major PITA though. Sometimes you can wiggle things around enough to get a pick in there to motivate it out.

Save yourself a lot of time, and aggravation with the manual suggested. I could not have rebuilt mine without it, invaluable.

Back