What's new
What's new

Specs on a 14.5"/16" CL198-C?

Galane

Hot Rolled
I'm looking at a South Bend on an auction site, closeup of the gearbox shows catalog CL198-C and it also has 14-1/2 & 16 Inch on the plate so the box must be original to the lathe. Searching online reveals that South Bend used the exact same catalog number for an actual 16" lathe as well as the 14.5" with riser blocks. Of course they didn't take a picture of the serial number.

Cause confusion using the same number for two completely different lathes? Nooooo. Not a bit. :skep:

I'd assume the headstock specs should be the same as a regular 14.5" but with South Bend one must not assume most things due to the wide variety of options they had.

I'm looking at a South Bend on an auction site, closeup of the gearbox shows catalog CL198-C and it also has 14-1/2 & 16 Inch on the plate so the box must be original to the lathe. Searching online reveals that South Bend used the exact same catalog number for an actual 16" lathe as well as the 14.5" with riser blocks. Of course they didn't take a picture of the serial number.

Cause confusion using the same number for two completely different lathes? Nooooo. Not a bit. :skep:

I'd assume the headstock specs should be the same as a regular 14.5" but with South Bend one must not assume most things due to the wide variety of options they had.

CL198C is a 16/24 with a 6' bed
The 14 1/2" and the 16" use the same gearbox.
Different models will have different catalog numbers.
Ted

Back