What's new
What's new

Spindle assembly difficulty

Lou B

Plastic
After being pushed to the back burner for several years I have finally started final assembley of my refinished 9a lathe. When reinstalling the headstock spindle all went well until the spindle was about 3/4" from being home and the spindle was reluctant to enter the bull gear bore and I chickened out. After taking it all apart again I found no obvious problems and not seem to recall that the spindle had to tapped some to remove it from the bull gear.
Can anyone clarify this step in the reassembly for me?

Lou B

The spindle is keyed to the bull gear - make sure they're aligned correctly. Even then, the bore of the bull gear can be a tight fit on the spindle. Here's what I used to reassemble the spindle in the headstock:

P9120033.JPG

Paul

The spindle is keyed to the bull gear - make sure they're aligned correctly. Even then, the bore of the bull gear can be a tight fit on the spindle. Here's what I used to reassemble the spindle in the headstock:

View attachment 73684

Paul

Thanks Paul, with the confidence gained by knowing it was a LPF I installed it W/O difficulty

Last edited:
Thanks Packardbill,
As you probably can tell I'm struggling with the forum some, but with your help the spindle is installed.

Thank you,
Lou B

Back