pirlbeck is offline Aluminum

Default Spindle tachometer with SFM calculator?

I am thinking about adding a spindle tachometer with a SFM calculator to my lathe while I have it down for a little refurbishing. I have found two different ones by searching on the net. Here are a couple of links to the different ones I have found.

http://www.eldb.webuda.com/tachometer.html

For some reason I think this one is out of the UK, but I can't find the info back that makes me think that.

tachoptions

I think this is the same unit for a little less money, if the price is current.

LittleMachineShop.com - Tachulator Tachometer & SFM Meter

I am wondering if anyone has any experience with any of these units. Or if you know of similar units please let me know about them.

Thanks!
    Pat

PeterJ is online now Hot Rolled

I like this little hand held tachometer .
    Picks up signal from small piece of reflective tape .
    Use on any equipment , then return to drawer .
    Once you have rpm , sfm is easy to figure .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hand-held-tach-002.jpg   hand-held-tach-001.jpg  

kurcules is offline Cast Iron

That's a nifty little idea there. What would be REALLY cool is if you could figure out how to do it elegantly and mechanically ... might sell a few of those ... Like a tach with a sliderule bezel for the FPM. Kind of like old Cinci manual mills have for cutting speed.

kurcules is offline Cast Iron

But on a more practical note - Does your lathe actually have infinite speed options? If just belt and back gears maybe a little chart would do fine. Material diameter down the side, belt posn across the top, SFM where they cross. No moving parts, no batteries...

If you have VFD then add a few more columns across the speed range. Should get you plenty close.

Dconway00 is offline Cast Iron

Pat
    I have the Tachulator on Heavy 10 with a VFD. Works quite well and I like the ability to monitor SFM while the diameter of the work piece changes. With the VFD you can dial in exactly what you want

Dennis C

EdR
    EdR is offline Aluminum

Default Tachulator

Hi Dennis - Just ran across this thread and was wondering how/where you mounted the sensor on your Heavy Ten Tachulator installation? TIA. Ed R.

Dconway00 is offline Cast Iron

Ed
    Sorry to take so long to post pics of the Tachulator pick up sensor. Basically I just used a piece of flat stock mounted to the back hole of the bull gear guard. I gave the flat stock a slight twist with a pair of pliers once it was in place to get a good angle at the spindle.

Keep in mind that my Heavy 10 has a D1-4 spindle so I have a litle more of the spindle to work with than a threaded spindle would have.

Dennis C.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tach1.jpg   tach2.jpg  

EdR
    EdR is offline Aluminum

Default Thanks!

No worries Dennis - Thanks for going to the trouble of posting the pics - they are very helpful, particularly as I also have a D1-4 spindle mount.

Ed