Spindle tachometer with SFM calculator?
Largest Manufacturing Technology
Community On The Web
Close
Login to Your Account

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Spindle tachometer with SFM calculator?

I am thinking about adding a spindle tachometer with a SFM calculator to my lathe while I have it down for a little refurbishing. I have found two different ones by searching on the net. Here are a couple of links to the different ones I have found.

http://www.eldb.webuda.com/tachometer.html

For some reason I think this one is out of the UK, but I can't find the info back that makes me think that.

tachoptions

I think this is the same unit for a little less money, if the price is current.

LittleMachineShop.com - Tachulator Tachometer & SFM Meter

I am wondering if anyone has any experience with any of these units. Or if you know of similar units please let me know about them.

Thanks!
    Pat

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I like this little hand held tachometer .
    Picks up signal from small piece of reflective tape .
    Use on any equipment , then return to drawer .
    Once you have rpm , sfm is easy to figure .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hand-held-tach-002.jpg   hand-held-tach-001.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's a nifty little idea there. What would be REALLY cool is if you could figure out how to do it elegantly and mechanically ... might sell a few of those ... Like a tach with a sliderule bezel for the FPM. Kind of like old Cinci manual mills have for cutting speed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

But on a more practical note - Does your lathe actually have infinite speed options? If just belt and back gears maybe a little chart would do fine. Material diameter down the side, belt posn across the top, SFM where they cross. No moving parts, no batteries...

If you have VFD then add a few more columns across the speed range. Should get you plenty close.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Pat
    I have the Tachulator on Heavy 10 with a VFD. Works quite well and I like the ability to monitor SFM while the diameter of the work piece changes. With the VFD you can dial in exactly what you want

Dennis C

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Tachulator

Hi Dennis - Just ran across this thread and was wondering how/where you mounted the sensor on your Heavy Ten Tachulator installation? TIA. Ed R.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ed
    Sorry to take so long to post pics of the Tachulator pick up sensor. Basically I just used a piece of flat stock mounted to the back hole of the bull gear guard. I gave the flat stock a slight twist with a pair of pliers once it was in place to get a good angle at the spindle.

Keep in mind that my Heavy 10 has a D1-4 spindle so I have a litle more of the spindle to work with than a threaded spindle would have.

Dennis C.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tach1.jpg   tach2.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Thanks!

No worries Dennis - Thanks for going to the trouble of posting the pics - they are very helpful, particularly as I also have a D1-4 spindle mount.

Ed