What's new
What's new

Spindle Thread Size on my 10K

Keithw

Plastic
Needing to get a new chuck. How do I figure out what the thread size on the spindle is for my Southbend 10K? Any suggestions on sources for a 3 jaw chuck under $200?

Thanks,
Keith

The thread is course enough that a ruler is accurate enough. Hint!! It is about 1 1/2 diameter and 8 tpi. As for a chuck, I would check EBay. However, be aware that the lower priced older chucks will typically have wear appropriate to the age. Alternatively you could go with a modern, ie Chinese, from Shars, Phase II or similar. But some of these will require you to machine an appropriate mounting plate for it. I just did this and it's a messy process.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Yes, 1 1/2"x8..

What size chuck do you want? My personal preference Is 5" but some guys like 6".

And are you wanting an off the shelf(or close to it) option or are you comfortable with machining and fitting a backplate?

Just looking for an off the shelf model I can i stall and use. New to machining so dont want to build a back plate... At least at this juncture.

Keith

looks like plenty on Ebay
1 1/2 8 back plate | eBay

QT: [New to machining ]

You should pick up a thread gauge set, a fish and perhaps a digital caliper..Put a wall chart near by with drill and tap sizes.. Wear safety glasses...and never gloves, long sleeves, finger rings, or neck ties....and throw a towel over works if using abrasive paper or cloth..

likely you will/may catch a finger or thumb sanding on a lathe so think about how to hold so not catching same.

Qt:[How do I figure out what the thread size on the spindle is for my Southbend 10K?] You should do a bit of watching You Tubes and perhaps get a How to run a Lathe book ...

Even if you find a back plate with the right spindle threads, there is no guarantee that the register will fit the back of the chuck as it should. If you don't want to machine a back plate to fit (the recommended method) you're probably better advised to buy a complete chuck with a matching back plate already fitted. Even then, if it is a used chuck you don't know how well the back plate was fitted. If I were buying a used chuck with back plate I would re-machine the back plate to fit so that I know that it's done right.

Last edited:

Back