What's new
What's new

spindle wrench aiding chuck removal on a 9

BalisticSquirel

Plastic
The non business end of my spindle has a small hole in it. It seemed a no-brainer to use this for locking a wrenching implement of some sort to the spindle in order to hold it still while chucks are broken free of their cling to the spindle thread.
At first i thought of something like a pin spanner wrench. But went with the pictured design because it was easier to make and i think has less potential to damage the spindle?
Haven't seen this done, so thought i'd post it for those who might be battling to find a way to 'get a grip' on that spindle. And maybe save some gear teeth.
IMG_20180512_101931.jpg
IMG_20180512_102017-edtd.jpg
The pin is the shaft of a drill bit. Pro tip : make sure that pin is short enough to clear the reversing gears when you forget that the tool is insralled and spin the spindle. (ie, don't use a full drill bit)

That hole is for a fixed pin that drives a collet closer mechanism. The way you are using it beats the heck out of other ways to lock the spindle! Good thinking.

Pete

Yeah, wish I could do summat like that on my 9" but no hole there - it's nerve wracking using the back gear all the time. I wonder if there are any other ideas out there?

Many ways to remove the chuck best not to use back gear teeth brake way to easy. I made spindle clamps for both my 9A and heavy 10. :)

Chet
Spindle Clamp heavy 10.jpg

10 or 12 years ago I helped a friend remove a stuck chuck that was really stuck had a 15" crescent wrench on the chuck jaws and large pipe on the wrench clamp on the rear of the spindle (like the one in the picture but only for the 9inch.)
then still had to hit the crescent wrench with a hammer. That was when I made the first spindle wrench been using them every time since and helped many others remove there chucks and also make one for their self never have seen a problem or broken teeth since.

Chet
Spindle Clamp heavy 10.jpg

Word of caution- the 9" and 10K spindles are very thin and fragile on the end.

my "tool" was just a "what I had on hand" solution...but IMO for the little SBs a "reverse" or " blind hole" expanding mandrel would be the way to go.

Word of caution- the 9" and 10K spindles are very thin and fragile on the end.

my "tool" was just a "what I had on hand" solution...but IMO for the little SBs a "reverse" or " blind hole" expanding mandrel would be the way to go.

Maybe a combination of the two would be beneficial - an expanding mandrel inside and "coyotechet's" clamp on the outside. The clamping forces from each would kinda nullify the strain on the "tube" end of the spindle..

Back