What's new
What's new

Steady rest for 10K

jdgoguen

Aluminum
I'm looking for a steady rest for my new-to-me 10K. (I finally got it home, but not yet to the basement.) I haven't found a used one at a reasonable price, and am considering two options:

(1) Plaza Machinery in Vermont (PLAZA MACHINERY,USED MACHINERY, METALWORKING MACHINERY, WOODWORKING MACHINERY) has new production cast iron ones that look very similar to the originals for $169. These are of the flat finger design.

(2) Tools4cheap apparently used to make them for the 10K, but now has only the heavy 10 version. These are the telescoping design. I could by one of these, mill the base flat, and make up an an adapter plate.

Both have about 3 inch capacity. (The one Grizzly sells for the new 10K might fit without modification, but has a capacity under 2 inches.

Is there a real advantage to the telescoping design? Anyone know of an original for sale?

Thanks!

Jon

How are you getting away without putting a location in your title block? (see rules)

Regarding the subject, what do you consider "reasonable cost"? I'd think anything under $250 would be reasonable for a telescopic (so long as it is in good shape and the base still shows good, flat scraping marks) given what it would take to make one. As far as preference, I definitely like the ease and "niceness" of use of the telescopic on my SB10K. But I don't see a big downside when using the flat finger type on one of my Hardinges.

smt

Back