What's new
What's new

Strange 9A Phenomenon

bogster

Plastic
When I dismantled my countershaft today to fit a new serpentine belt, I noticed this state of affairs:

951cf62e-057d-487b-800a-2b2e9b0e492f.jpg

The locking screw for the cone pulley has been machined at a strange angle to the flat part on the casting of the pulley body that would have been there to accommodate the locking nut. Not really a problem I just thought it was a bit strange (and a bit sloppy to be frank) and wondered if anyone else had noticed something similar on their machine?

Regards,

Bruce

You sure it was machined or cast like that, nut may have loosened from vibration and the set screw has been cocked under a high torque moment.........................Rick

Yes, it has definitely been machined like that. The access hole for the hex key is off line as well and there is absolutely no damage to the setscrew or the thread in the pulley casting.

Regards,

Bruce

It was either:
1. Someone's first day on the job
2. Someone had too much to drink
3. Someone working too many hours straight
4. Someone briefly not paying attention to what they were doing.

Weird things show up in manufacturing all the time. Think of it as a unique feature of your lathe. It might be even be the only one like that out there. :D

It was either:
1. Someone's first day on the job
2. Someone had too much to drink
3. Someone working too many hours straight
4. Someone briefly not paying attention to what they were doing.

Weird things show up in manufacturing all the time. Think of it as a unique feature of your lathe. It might be even be the only one like that out there. :D

LOL!

Using that logic you forgot

5. Someone's attempt to make every machine leaving the factory unique. :D

Regards,

Bruce

Back