What's new
What's new

Suggestions of getting taper sleeve off?

azitizz

Plastic
Hi Still new to the forums and machining in general, but like the info I see so far. I'm just getting around to hooking up and refurbishing my old Southbend lathe.
In the meantime I am having difficulty in separating the drill chuck that came with it from a sleeve adaptor that is on it so that I can fit it into the tailstock to do a quick job. these no slot in it to knock it out. I tried a bit with a crescent wrench to pry it between the chuck and the sleeve, but seems really stuck and dont want to damage it., I'm not even 100% sure its meant to come apart?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
here are some pics
IMG_7074.jpgIMG_7075.jpgIMG_7076.jpg

Tried heating it? If the last person to use it didn't go crazy with it, it'll probably fall right off with some heat from a propane torch. It doesn't require very much stretch to lock up a Morse taper...by design.

Hold the sleeve in one hand, not the chuck, and hit the end of the chuck arbor quite sharply with a fairly heavy (16 oz or better) hammer. A bronze hammer if you have one. If you hit with a steel hammer be sure to hit the arbor end squarely to minimize damage. You may have to soak it in penetrating fluid and heat it. Hit it while it's hot. You won't have to get it too hot to handle with a glove. Hotter than that is too hot!!

Excellent, I will try the propane torch first and let you know. Happy to know it should come apart.
Thanks again

Last edited:

Back