What's new
What's new

TAil Stock Shimmmmming

Pete Wass

Aluminum
Hello All,

I have a 10L Tool Room lathe. It's tail stock is .007" lower than the spindle when reading an indicator as it is rotated around a dead center, placed into the quill. I know much of the wear is on the front of the tailstock, simply by looking at it. I plan to shim the tailstock but got to thinking, with more wear at the front, should I shim the front more than the rear or shim only the front? I was thinking there would be a differerence when drilling holes if the tailstock quill isn't parallel to the spindle in the headstock, is this the case?

Thanks,

Pete

Both my 10K and my 10L are shimmed. I did the 10K .004 and the 10L was already done. The wear comes from not fully loosening the tailstock nut causing more drag pushing it one way or another. And lack of oil on the center ways plus always some crud and chips. Just my thoughts...Bob

Parrallel is the goal of shimmimg, Yes, funny stuff can happen when out of parallel, Put a good ground shaft in the chuck, indicate it in and run the indicator down the shaft with the tail stock quill. That should tell you the tilt of the tail stock.
Regards

So Bob, What about the question of how to shim it to get the TS quill parallel to the spindle?

Thanks,

Pete

Yup thats the hard part. I think i just put the shim under the front and retightened the tailstock down. If its pointing downhill it will drill holes a few tho bigger depending on the wear...Bob

that seems to be a pretty consistent problem with SB lathes. My 10R is off a few thou. If I just need to poke a hole, I don't worry very much about it. But, if I need the hole to be absolutely dead nuts on the money, I will drill it a bit undersized, and finish it up with a boring tool of one type or another. This way I know it is dead nuts on.

It all comes down to knowing your machine and what it will do in any given circumstance.

Just my $.02 worth...........

Frank

Mine was worn convex on the bottom. I needed to clean it up a bit to make it sit on the bed and not rock around.
It would not repeat at all when it was clamped.

Bill

Back