What's new
What's new

Tailstock ckamp

sovt

Plastic
image1.jpg

Just picked up a 9" model A Lathe. Runs well and tolerances close enough for the work I need to do. One issue however is the Tailstock clamp does not appear wide enough. It will literally drop right thru the Ways. The clamp that came with the lathe has the following part number "56N3" stamped on it. It is 2 21/64" at its widest, 2" inside groove to inside groove and 2 1/16" long.
I can sort of get it to work if I twist the clamp so it catches edge to edge diagonally.

I guess the question is, is this the right part? If not anyone know the correct part number so I can start looking for a replacement?

Thanks for any help.
Mike

Are you sure you have a 9"? (Have to ask)

Can you show a pic of the machine? There was one style bed in the 9" workshop series that had a little wider "gap" between the ways.....that style has squared cross bracing in the bed....it was only used for about 1 year.

If it's that one then you will have to make the clamp or have someone make it.

I had the same problem when I change the bed on my machine. In 1946/1947, South been experimented with a new bed design. Sometimes called the intermediate bed. The inside rail to rail dimensions was slightly smaller than the previous 9" lathe. Either someone has changed the tailstock/clamp or the bed has been changed. You need to measure the gap between the two rails, and using that measurement either make your own, or buy one off of eBay.

Stay safe and have fun.

Joe.

Guys
Thank you for the help.
It is definitely a 9" South Bend. The serial and catalog number check out.
I did some digging around and found a clamp that measures up pretty close to the distance between the ways. Going to give it a try.
Thanks again.
Mike

I just measured one of mine, part# 56N2. Dimension between gap, 2.152. Overall with 2.476. Should be the same as a 56NK2. But you should match dimensions before purchasing.

Hope this helps.

Stay safe and have fun.

Joe.

Back