What's new
What's new

Taper attachment--accessory project??

bronto48

Hot Rolled
Has anyone ever seen plans for, or made, a taper attachment for their lathe?

I am blessed to now own two SB lathes (10L and 16), but unfortunately neither one has a taper attachment. Seems that somebody would have figured out a way around this problem. I noticed that someone was recently selling (on ebay, $250.) an evidently new aftermarket taper attachment for the little 6-inch Atlas. What made it especially interesting was the length of taper attachment appeared to be the full bed length.

Seems it would be a possible project for the have-nots amongst us.

However, having never used or examined one in detail, I have no idea how feasible this is.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
There have been lots of plans published over the last 60 years or more for taper attachments. I have some bookmarked somewhere but I can't seem to put my fingers on one right now. Grrrrr. But hopefully someone else is better organized and can post some stuff.

Pete

Posting a picture or a quoting from a copyrighted article is ok. Posting a link to a site legally entitled to post the copyrighted material (as lepton did) is ok. Uploading a copyrighted article in its entirety to your photobucket account, and posting it (or linking to it) here is not ok. Would we "get away with it"? Probably, but it's still not in the best interests of this website to do so.

Paula

I have actually built 2 of the pop mech taper attachments but haven't put finishing touches and mounted yet. Just too many things going on. saw them on the web couple years ago. plans seem to work perfectly. Very doable. tommie

I was blessed to get a taper attachment on my SBL 9" x 4 1/2'. I have not even tried to set it up yet( I've had the lathe going on 3 months), but from what I've heard they're a pain in the rear to get right on, and then you never want to reset the thing if it's set up for a special taper (ie #2MT). If the compound rest can't do, I probably shouldn't be doing it. Just my 2 cents.

As for plans, I saw some once in a Popular Mechanics magazine. If you figure out the issue, you can look at every issue past on Google books. Greyson

telescopic taper attachment

The Jan 2204 issue of HSM has a good article on building a telescopic taper attachment for 9 or 10" SB lathes. The author includes details for making a new cross feed screw and larger dial for the same. He also gives the reader a 101 on gear making with a verticle mill.

I started on the project two winters ago but only got as far as making the new cross feed arbor and gathering most of the materials on the bill of materials list. Other projects that I needed to complete before I continued on with this project arose..like making a steady rest, updating to a serpentine belt, acquiring a rotary table with indexingplates etc etc etc.

Anyway, I would encourage anyone who is thinking of building a taper attachment to read this article.

Steve

How does one obtain that article? Is it on line? Does the magazine sell the article? Can I obtain the article from someone on this forum?

:drool5:

I'm really interested in having a taper attachment for my 10K. The SB ones that show up are way too expensive and I would like to have the telescoping unit like the 'big' lathes do!

I've 'collected' a lot of info and project articles like from Pop. Mech. and ME but those aren't telescoping units either.

Thanks,
Pete

Pete,

Back issues of HSM are available from Village Press, 800-447-7367. The taper attachment article is in the Jan/Feb 2004 issue of Home Shop Machinist.

Steve

Pete, using info from that article I adapted a 10L telescopic taper attachment to my 10K. I bought the attachment on Ebay for a very reasonable price because the screw and slotted part were missing which I had to remake anyway. Making the complete taper attachment from the article while certainly doable would be quite a project. Larry

quite a project

I have to agree with Larry. It is one thing to read how one person went about making the taper attachment and it quite another to do it yourself. The author obviously had mastered certain machining techniques..machining dovetails, fabricating gears and had to adhere to fairly high levels of precision to boot.

i started on the project and only got as far as the first page ot two..To continue on I first had to make the left hand acme lead screw..to make that screw I first had to learn how to machine acme threads on a slender shaft and that required techniques and acessories I didn't have..follower rest for one. So I embarked on making a follower rest and so on and so on. If I live long enough I do intend to try and finish the original project.

Steve

Thats why i went with the simple route and made a simple one. Seems like the more projects you start the more stuff you need to make to finish the first project. Been there done that...Bob

OK, I'll call HSM then. I don't mind a 'project' and feel that I have the skills necessary and most of the tooling. If I can't find ready-made LH acme rod I'll cobble up a follower of some sort.

It's all fun!

Thanks,
Pete

if anyone is interested I have an extra copy of the Jan 2004 issue of HSM.
it is unread in still in the plastic wrap.

I do not know how much Village press will ask for this issue, or if it is even available.

I'm asking $10 for the issue plus shipping.

I can accept PayPal.

If you are interested please PM me.

promacjoe.

Back