What's new
What's new

Taper Pin sizes

dizzolve

Plastic
I'm restoring my 13" and ran into a couple stubborn taper pins in the Apron which I had to drill out.

Can anyone help with the sizes I'll need? I could take some measurements but I wanted to bounce this off all the experience in here before I chase my tail

Thanks in advance!

PS - one appeared to be just under 1/4 inch major (Handwheel crankshaft gear inside the apron I think it was)...
...and the other was through the threaded ring that retains the worm gear bushing so it was like maybe 1/8" but probably smaller

I wouldn't mind buying bulk assorted if that's possible. Any advice is welcome

Robert

In your case, it is often necessary to replace a pin with the next larger pin due to damage when removing the original pin. It is possible to buy extra long pins that cross multiple pin size boundaries. These long pins are very handy because they allow you to ream the taper exactly to clean bore, but no larger than necessary. Then, after fitting the long pin, you mark and then cut the replacement pin to length on both ends. You may have to look around for these, but they do exist.

Hi Robert,

I went through a SB 16" with some of the same issues and ended up ordering an assortment kit off Ebay. It looks like prices have climbed some, since I bought mine, but you'll have all you'll need.

Brian

Back