What's new
What's new

Thanks Arnie, and a easy wick substitute

enginebuilder

Stainless
Thanks Arnie for the pic of the wick on the apron. I cannot find any felt wicking material here locally, but have found a good substitute!
Simpply get some cotton cord/rope in the right diameter, and install as needed. Tested a peice in a container of hydraulic oil and it wicks it perfectly. Easy, cheap, and functional, and available everywhere. Some one may have thought of this already, a good reminder if so. Just about have My SBL 13" restored and ready for use. Previous owner used it for chambering rifle barrels and when he replace the machine, just dragged it outside and left it sit in the rain, snow and such for 2 years, looked like a disaster when I brought it home, but it cleaned up real nice. I figured for the 200$ asking price it was worth some effort. I'll get some pics up soon if any one is interested. Leblonde told me this lathe was origianlly shipped to the Naval Training Center In CA. Unfortunately, the taper attachement it was shipped with is AWOL. Bummer. Still a great machine for the money.
Jim

Back