What's new
What's new

First lathe

skipd1

Cast Iron
Hello everyone, been around for a year or so and finally purchased my first
lathe. Its a southbend 9" by 4 1/2 foot "O" series lathe with single QC
box. Cataloge #780R and Serial # 46727S. I believe it was built in 1930 but don't know much else. Steve Wells has been helping me with some info as I just got it this week. It came with the usual 3&4 Jaw chucks, steady and follow rest, several face plates. Not much tooling but a nice set of drill bits.
I will upload some pictures soon for your review.

Cool! There are several members here with one of the older 'Heavy 9' models. I have a 1927 9 Jr. The steady and follower are the hardest tooling to find, the rest is pretty easy. What sort of drive setup? Any pictures? :)

allan

New lathe

Thanks Allen. I have the 3 step belt pully with countershaft and end bearings and a new style motor. I would love to get the original overhead drive system or whatever is original. What do you mean when you say heavy 9? and what parts are interchangeable with this model?

I think he is referring to the wide bed our lathes have, I have a 1928 9" jr. with a 4' bed and the over head drive. There is such a thing as a heavy 9" but they came later and are few and far between. I believe there is a thread where a heavy 9" was purchased and discussed if you are itching for some search and read info.
If you have been conversing with Steve then you have already been to the right person for info on your lathe but feel free to ask questions here as well..... and don't forget the pic's, we like pic's. :)
Cheers,
Mitch

Thanks Mitch, here are my pics;

SB12.jpg

SB14.jpg

SB18.jpg

SB13.jpg

SB10.jpg

SB17.jpg

SB16.jpg

SB3.jpg

SB5.jpg

SB1.jpg

SB2.jpg

SB11.jpg

SB21.jpg

SB9.jpg

Cool lathe, interesting paint job. Looks like you need some oil hole plugs, and a banjo gear, and maybe the gearbox top tray? I expect most of those might interchange with a single tumbler Heavy 10?

allan

Nice lathe, looks like it was being painted a bit at a time and was left unfinished. Maybe the p.o. just decided not to go through with it and put it back together to sell. Looks in good shape overall and don't worry too much about the look of the spindle and bearings, mine are about the same and I've seen worse posted by others that still run smooth once cleaned, oiled, and properly set.
Welcome to the forum and your new addiction ;)
Cheers,
Mitch

Thanks

Thanks for the compliments. Ya, I am pretty excited about getting it together and working. Still have some issues regarding the drive system, and I will need a new belt as well. Now I have to look for some parts and start cleaning and painting a little at a time. Do you guys recommending getting it completley running and setup before starting on the cosmetics??

Skip:

The chipped gear teeth are from shifting the in-out gear while the lathe was still turning. It says right on the cover not to shift until the lathe stops.

Mike over in yahoos southbendlathe made me a new gear and pressed it on for less then $100.

Your 9" wide bed has the bed of a 10" lathe but the head stock of a 9". The 780-R had a self contained drive unit that sat on the bench behind the lathe.

I have a 380-Y with the overhead chain drive.

On Steve Wells web site is a 1930 catalog with the description. I copied a page for you.

Your lathe was originally all black, mine will be soon.

Ed S

Attachments

• 780-Y.jpg
    780-Y.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 478
  • 9 inch wide bed.JPG
    9 inch wide bed.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 664
  • DSCN2518.jpg
    DSCN2518.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 418
Nice!!.first i bought a lathe,then i joined the site.
Learning a ton of stuff,thanks to the knowledgeable people here on the site.
have used mine a few times to help friends with parts for their vehicles,i find the time i spend with my lathe very rewarding...dont tell my wife.

Ed
With respect to the bad back gear, is having it made the only option or are parts like this available from suppliers? I guess it really dosen't matter, it looks like nice work on your example. Is it possible to get an original self contained drive unit for my lathe?
Is this lathe considered a "Heavy 9" ? And are any 10" southbend lathe parts interchangable? Also I have one tooth missing on the bull gear, should I replace it as well? Thanks for your comments
Skip-

Suprised

Everyone-
I am really suprised and impressed with the great response to my questions and posts. This is great! I know nothing with respect to this hobby and I can see that I will get lots of usefull and informative information here.

Thanks Everyone!!!!!

'Heavy 9' is really a short-hand way to describe these older 9 inch machines with the wide bed. They were produced thru the 20's and 30's, and came as the entry-level 9 Jr like mine, the 9 inch O or N series, and the S series one-inch collet lathe. The last of these 'morphed' into the Heavy 10 in 1939/40, which is different enough that many parts won't interchange, but the end gearing might, so you might get lucky. Measure the OD and number of teeth on that busted gear, and we'll know for sure. They show up on ebay pretty often:

South Bend Heavy 10 Lathe Clock | eBay

(ignore the title, it is NOT a clock :crazy:)

allan

Allan-
Thanks I will measure it and let you know. with one tooth missing on the bull gear, should I look at replacing it as well?

Skip

Back