State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by tobnpr View Post
    You can see Halligan142 do it here, same lathe with full resto:
    New Lathe and Pennsylvania Trip - YouTube
    Thank you for bringing this video to my attention. Before I had a lathe I watched his 13" restore series, and currently re-watching it now, but for some reason I never saw his load in video for that machine.

Thank you to all for the warnings, encouragement and advice. It's very appreciated. I am confident that once properly disassembled and with some careful planning I can do it with some help.

I see now that I was hoping to take a short cut in not breaking things down into manageable pieces, but that same "short cut" only held the potential to make things much more difficult and dangerous.

I thank all of you who suggested or insisted I seek pro riggers too. Even if I decide not to go that route, I still very much appreciate those stepping forward with the suggestion of the right way to have something dangerous done should it be outside the scope of my abilities. These are among the many smart, responsible bits of the conversation.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes, it can be done. In one piece,too What's weigh,only 2ton? Look skyward, what can you hang a couple of tons from ? First lesson in Rigging 101. Nothing,eh? What can I quickly build ? Second lesson in Rigging 101. Rather then learning how to rig, you might find it easier to take it apart.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Our moderator put several machines in his basement. I'm surprised he hasn't chimed in.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by hsracer201 View Post
    Our moderator put several machines in his basement. I'm surprised he hasn't chimed in.
    I'm not surprised as I don't think Brad hangs out here very much.

This forum is kind of self moderated by the users, just no ability to edit stuff that doesn't belong to them, as a moderator can.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

1. Remove/separate components till you look down and say to self "I can move that"
    2. The larger the part, the smaller the move increment.
    3. Never get in harms way.
    4. Consult the rigging group on PM for questions
    5. Remember the pyramids

safety first

6. Likes John Strange liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My first rule of moving heavy things is "never lift anything". Meaning lift it yourself.

Lifting with a hoist, a jack, pry bar, etc, etc, is perfectly OK, in fact it's required.

Anything going down a slope has to be at least snubbed, and preferably let down with some item that is not just friction-based. At least a come-along, preferably something more like a chain hoist.

You stay out from under, of course. You also stay out from where the thing can tip over onto. And, if in any way possible, you do not move things that can tip. Bolt to a skid, runners, something to stabilize the item.

if you cannot do that, then jam the item with something out to the side so it cannot fall over.

Going down 4 steps is not hard, but it is still "down". So the pieces can sit on something like a "stone boat", a base with a rim to hold "stuff" as it slides down, that bridges the steps and lets it slide (snubbed etc).

If you have wooden stairs, and the items are heavy, think about putting on some extra supports at about half span, or 1/3 and 2/3. A lot of stair stringers end up having about one 2 x 4 worth of solid wood along the length. That is not good for a lot of span with a heavy load.

If you get done and then wonder why you went to all that trouble, considering how easy it turned out to be, you probably did just right. Moving stuff should turn out easy enough that you could do it all day. If it was a big pain and you are beat afterward, you probably tried to lift too much yourself, didn't snub your lowering well enough, etc, etc.

8. Likes John Strange liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

More great advice. Thank you. I hope the collection of thoughts in this thread can go on to help others (as well as myself) stay safe and get the job done.