What's new
What's new

Thoughts on Polishing Chip Tray versus Painting it

xplodee

Hot Rolled
Hi All-

What does everyone think about polishing the chip tray versus painting it? In general, how bad does the chip tray get beat up? We have a lathe at work that I have a lot of hours on but the tray has always been in bad shape so I can't say I have an idea of how much paint chipping occurs on the tray over time.

My lathe is getting a show-quality restoration because that's what I enjoy doing (don't judge please, I am painter and enjoy it) with high quality single stage urethane paint and an activated primer and sealer below it. Therefore I'm optimistic that my paint will be overall chip resistant.

So what do you think? Spend the time filling, sanding, priming and painting the chip tray or spend the time sanding and polishing it? I am open to either option but want to chose the one that will look best for a long time.

If you enjoy polishing or painting go ahead. In some period of time, depending how much you use the lathe, it going to look like crap, especially of you use coolant.
I've got a lathe that I epoxy painted, and it's starting to show the wear and tear from the coolant and chips. I don't do epoxy any more, it holds up longer than than the enamels, but eventually it does degrade, and I decided it wasn't worth the trouble or expense.
Harry

If you paint it, use epoxy paint. Everything else will look like crap in a few months.

You could always paint it with a thin sprayed on layer of whatever paint you want and then cover it with a flood coat of this stuff:

Epoxy : Kleer Koat Table Top Epoxy

I havent used it for machine tools...but what I have used it for I havent been able to chip or scratch it yet...

I would not want the overhead lights being reflected back up into my eyes. Of course, my lathes chip trays are full of chips, so I might not notice :)

allan

I won't try to make the decision for you, but in my experience (and I'm extremely kind on my machines), the tray will invariably get pretty beaten up. If you use a very hard paint it will chip whenever anything drops on it ... and things WILL drop on it. If you use a softer paint it will scratch when you clear out the chips. Even if you try to vacuum them out, the nozzle etc will still scratch the paint. If you polish it, the tray will get as scratched as heck.

If you really wanted to create a "showroom" lathe (that will still be used) I'd probably suggest coming up with some other surface that can sit in the tray and protect it. I have some pieces of very thin silicone sheet that withstands high temperatures. No attempt to maintain a "showroom" lathe here, but the silicone mats are handy to deflect chips/easier to lift out/prevent chips/etc. They're messy with coolant however. I line up the tool holders I'm using in the tray as I swap them in and out on a job, and rest them on one of those little mats, it saves chipping and wearing the tray paint.

Another suggestion might be to polish it and then stick on some type of vinyl sacrificial film that can be peeled off every so often and replaced. I used to do that with topsheets of skis (before the manufacturers wised up to do something similar) and it works well to protect the surface under it. Cheap as chips, just buy some vinyl book covering film and replace it when it gets too beat up for your liking.

Pete

Chip trays chip. They also get scratched and dirty. On old items it's called patina. If you want to paint and polish to perfection go for it - it's your machine. Take lots of photos while it still looks pretty. I think polishing the chip tray any finer than suface conditioning disc/scotchbrite level is an exercise in futility. About the only way to keep it nice would be to fab some disposable liners you can toss periodically.

I like things to look nice too, but I also use them. Some years back I got criticized for taking a classic convertible muscle car down the unimproved road at a Sportsmen's club. My answer to the guy was that it was built to drive and I don't own any carport queens. But again, that's just me.

I like the idea of polishing if the tray is in great condition to begin with. If it's beat up and dented I would paint it. Hope you have a blast with your project it's great to bring old machines back to life.

My thoughts on a polished chip tray, Your insane........no, sorry that is my thought about you. A polished chip tray is probably one of the more insane ideas I have seen on this site. Are you going to use this lathe? If not, why not I guess. If it don't go chrome it

My thoughts on a polished chip tray, Your insane........no, sorry that is my thought about you. A polished chip tray is probably one of the more insane ideas I have seen on this site. Are you going to use this lathe? If not, why not I guess. If it don't go chrome it

Yeah but............. It's sure gonna look fantastic in his living room! ! ! ! :stirthepot:

I love machines I use them everyday as they were intended. What could bring more honor to a machine than to run it everyday for decades. They are not prom queens they are not show dogs. How would you feel if someone decided to fix you up and wax your chest hair off and give you a botox treatment. Honest wear and tear is a sign of pride. Scars of battle are signs of pride I dont want anything in my shop that cant pull its weight. I wouldnt hire some pretty boy model with clean fingernails and no calluses on his hands to work in my shop, they are machines clean them well give them a decent paint job and run them.

I am the last person to point a finger to someone "wasting time" on silly details...

But I agree, polishing a chip pan is a bit excessive in even MY mind. Use a scratch/chip RESISTANT paint and call it good...if it were a more vital part of the machine like the gearbox tumblers or feed chart, or the apron controls...I'm the first one making carbon steel look like chrome. A chip pan is meant to collect coolant, lubricant, and chips, and keep the bench or the floor clean(er). You can put as much effort into it as you want to, but I would just paint it...and I'm kind of a perfectionist.

My chip tray used to be painted, now it's half painted and half polished, go figure. It's getting more "polished" every day I use it...lol

Mike

#9 PeteF

“other surface that can sit in the tray and protect it.”

Perforated or expanded metal bent roughly to shape, give the liner some feet so that the coolant can have a “sump”.
Put an old fire blanket on the liner if the design allows the blanket to be removed with the chips inside.

I'm just a hobbyist, but I like my machines to look good also; I painted my lathe with epoxy paint, then I bought a stainless cooky sheet that was the right size, and slid it under the bed; easy to pull out to dump the chips, and reinstall.
I even glued rubber pads under the sheet...

I'm thinking galvanising the pan. If & when that wears off... re-galvanise the thing (more zinc). That can also help you find lost parts and tools that fall into the chip pan.

Gary

Back