What's new
What's new

Thread Dial Install

Rick_B

Stainless
Good morning - I'm looking for a little help with the installation of a threading dial. I've got a SB heavy 9 but the apron does not currently have any holes for a tread dial. I've also got the thread dial (from Ted) that has two 5/16 holes for mounting. Are there any detailed instructions for the correct mounting location/process for this dial?

Thanks

Rick

Thanks iron-junkie - that seems to cover it pretty well. I'm just hesitant to start drilling in the apron :)

I may be back with more questions

Rick

Thanks iron-junkie - that seems to cover it pretty well. I'm just hesitant to start drilling in the apron :)

I may be back with more questions

Rick

No problem. I might be doing what you're doing sometime in the future to put a thread dial on a 9" Junior lathe. So I'm looking forward to see how you mount the apron on a drill press. Good luck.

If it were me I would mount the drill on the lathe.
Make a braket to hold a drill bushing in the right place and mount it to the lathe.
Something like a carriage stop with an extension clamped on might be a good start.

I have to do the same thing (to a heavy 9, no less), so post pictures and descriptions for the rest of us.

Steve

I haven't quite decided yet how I am going to approach this, My initial thought was to do it with the apron installed. I'm still "thinking" about how I'm going to accomplish this.

A general question - why are these designed to pivot out of engagement? Is it strictly to minimize gear wear?

Rick

A general question - why are these designed to pivot out of engagement? Is it strictly to minimize gear wear?

If you are not threading, the thread dial is completely disengaged from the lead screw. There is no need for it, unless you are cutting threads. Otherwise, it just spins uselessly, wearing down the lead screw, and wearing down itself.

-
If you are not threading, the thread dial is completely disengaged from the lead screw. There is no need for it, unless you are cutting threads. Otherwise, it just spins uselessly, wearing down the lead screw, and wearing down itself.

Thanks - that's what I thought - its disengaged to simply minimize gear wear

Rick

Back