What's new
What's new

Too many pieces?

Padrig

Plastic
I am putting the lathe I cleaned back together and I have 2 things I am not sure about. THe first is a piece of the apron and the other is a brass piece, spring and screw that I think go on the tailstock. I've looked at the exploded drawings on the web but I am still unsure. Here are the pics.
piece1.jpg

piece2.jpg

Any help would be appreciated.

Pad

The brass plug, spring and screw look to me like they go into a hole on the bottom edge of the apron, immediately beneath the split nut operating lever. They adjust the friction of that.

The bit at the top I'm less sure of. It might be
the carriage lock plate, but it doesn't look much like mine.

Nick

Hi There,

The top photo is definitely the carriage lock. It fits under the front prismatic way. The two pins run just outside the way with the pins facing up. The "knotched" side faces out into the apron. A square headed flanged bolt comes down through the saddle and threads into the hole in the center.

The lower photo looks like the Brass Shoe, Spring and Screw for the backgears. These fit into the right-hand (front) casting boss for the backgear eccentric, in a hole from underneath. The shoe contacts the eccentric on the backgear shaft, and the adjusting screw and spring apply pressure to the shoe. This is the friction device that prevents the backgears from disengaging while in use.

I hope this helps. Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

1) Don't forget to drive the taper pin in
that holds the traverse handwheel.

2) Do NOT hang the apron off the leadscrew
like that!!! (even if it is just for the
photograph)

Jim

When I tear down my 9", I always take the quick change and leadscrew off the lathe first thing before servicing the carraige assembly for fear of bending the lead screw. The brass pin may not be the correct piece that came original on the lathe. Definitly looks like the spring and screw for the keeper for the half-nut handle, but the brass piece on my 9" has a blunt chisel looking point on the end, and is of steel???

Thank you for the info. I posted on the Yahoo site also so I am sorry if some of you replied twice.

Jim, about the apron hanging off the screw like this, I imagine that I should not tell you that it stayed that way all night and until this afternoon when I got back into the garage. :( As for the pin, let's just not go there. That was the first thing I put back together and realized there was a right way and a wrong way to put these in. :(

I am getting better. It is hard for me. All the metal work I did before, when there was a problem, you:

1) Hit it harder.
2) Hit it longer.
3) Get a bigger hammer.

And most times all 3 worked even better. ;)

So this 0.000000003 stuff takes some getting use to.

Thanks again for all your help.

Pad

Actually, there are *three* wrong
ways to put that pin in, and only one
right way.

South Bend drilled and reamed the taper
pin holes sort of at random. So you need
to get the shaft timed right to get the
holes to really line up. I like to make
a small punch mark on the handwheel and
shaft before I take that kind of thing
apart.

Then the pin has to go in from the correct
side, or it just won't work very well....

All this stuff illustrates that the
"interchangeable parts" so-often touted
doesn't really work. At least with machine
tools.

Many of the hardinge slides and pieces
I own have numbers stamped in them, indicating
that whoever was hand-fitting the gibs and
slides knew that he had better keep track
of which gib went with which slide, etc!

Jim

Pad,

Don't know if you have it but here's a manual and parts breakdown for the 9 and 10 inch South Bend lathes. It will have everything you get from South Bend and more. The site is owned by the U.S. Army.
https://www.logsa.army.mil/etms/data/A/047809.pdf

If you have trouble downloading it, just let me know and I'll email it to you. This pdf file is about 1.2MB.

- Mike

Good idea Jim about the punch mark. I will do it the next time, if there is ever a next time. Man what a job!

Mike, I do have it downloaded. I appreciate the offer though. I looked at it to find the parts location but I was probably too tired. I had just spent 5 hours putting the gearbox back together. :(

Thanks again

Pad

Back