What's new
What's new

Too much play or slop in crossfeed

Trux

Plastic
Hi guys, this is Trux again.I am still getting started with this old 1944 model 16"SBL.The cross feed has about a half a turn of slop in it.I took off the handle and cleaned it all up.If I tighten up the handle nut it takes care of the slop, but I can barely turn the handle.I was wondering if the dial is supposed to have a washer between it and the apron?Any suggestions.I also am looking for a book on this specific lathe.I bought the book "How to run a lathe", but it don't have much on my lathe.I think from the pictures in the book my lathe was an old turret lathe?It is missing the tailstock, and I want to put a regular tailstock on it if at all possible?I am also having alot of trouble getting the bullgear in gear for direct drive?I don't know if I don't have it adjusted properly or not since I put the spindle back togethere( the cone was stuck on the spindle)Please help me if you can.Thank you
Trux

Hi Trux,

I can't help you with the tailstock issue but there are some instructions on fitting the cross slide screw that will help with removing the play between the cross feed screw and bushing.

First of, are you a member of the Yahoo southbendlathe group? If not, you should join it. It has a good files section with answers to most of the common questions and problems. Here is a link to the cross slide screw fitting folder (but I think you are going to have to join the group before you can access it).

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/southbendlathe/files/Techinfo/Cross-slide/

These instruction are for fitting a new screw but it is the same if you are re-fitting a screw that has some wear between the screw and the thrust sufaces of the bushing.

I hope this helps. Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

Back