What's new
What's new

Tool Identification

Halligan

Aluminum
I think I may have asked about this a while back I'm not sure. Anyway I've been wondering what machine this was for for a while and I forgot all about it untill I went to usae my collets today and saw it again. I picked up this set of 3c collets with these fixtures a while ago. All the collets are southbend and in the box with them was a southbend pamphlet so I assume these fixtures are from Southbend too. It is obviously some sort of nosepiece for the collets, but it's huge. If you have a machine that big why would you be using 3c collets? The big one has a tapered shank. The large end is about 1.652 and the small end 1.546. The taperlength is about 3.50. I can't match this taper to anything. The smaller fixture has a straight shank. The nut on the outside is tapered to close the hole like a collet. The inside of it is huge and won't fit the collets. I tried the collet nosepiece for my lathe but that won't fit in there either.

The Set:
Wilmington-20121214-00049.jpg

Nosepiece?
Wilmington-20121214-00050.jpg

Other Piece:
Wilmington-20121214-00051.jpg

It's huge:
Wilmington-20121214-00052.jpg

I don't know how big it is, but it looks like maybe a B&S 11.
The only reason I am guessing this is that it is a standard size for a bunch of tool and cutter grinder workheads.
Being able to move a piece in a collet from lathe to grinder might be very useful, and now that I think of it I might try t make a 3C holder to fit my motorized workhead.
In any case that is a nice piece of work, and a whole lot of brass!

Back