What's new
What's new

Toolpost for a 1951 SB13

steventenney

Plastic
So I bought a 1951 Southbend 13" lathe, and it did not come with a tool holder. I have gone to a local store and got a catalog, but none of them fit the dimensions for my lathe. The manufacturer part is ce2450t, and im looking for one, but i really want a quick change tool post. Ideas?

Try an Aloris BXA or equivalent. I think a CXA will be a bit large for your lathe. You will probably have to make, or modify, the nut that goes in the compound. Do you have a mill, or access to one?

Best regards,

Marc

BXA. I have an AXA with a previous-owner-made 1/2" riser. It works just fine.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Riser... so a regular AXA, with a .40" riser comnected to the bottom? How does it stay put in the channel?

This is my first lathe, and Im pretty sure you are speaking greekt

Not Greekt. Wawoodman is from the left Washington. I will translate for you: 7:7(/(,86);)9;4$!?$;;;.

Seriously wawoodman means the compound t-slot can be nothing more than a length of bar with a tapped hole in it. A BXA toolpost will come with an oversized blank to be machined to fit your lathe.

Make first the bar with tapped hole and mount your post. Then use that arrangement to machine the BXA blank using a 4 jaw chuck to face off and drill/tap to size.

Ok, so make my own part for the bottom slot with a hole in it to allow the quick change post to be mounted to it. As long as it will fit in the channel, i should be good.

Ok, so make my own part for the bottom slot with a hole in it to allow the quick change post to be mounted to it. As long as it will fit in the channel, i should be good.

Make it as long as the tool block is wide and as thick as will fit in the slot. Leave a little clearance so it slides in easily but make sure it seats fully when tightened.

Does someone have a photo that would help explain?

You can't have too many ways to position the cutting tool. I have three lanterns,two tool blocks and a quick change post for my SBL 13. They also work on my regal 13 and I have another block with it.

You could make a round one right on the lathe that looks just like the bottom of the lantern tool post where it slides in the slot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Back