What's new
What's new

Is this travel rest for a 9" and not a 10"?

StrayAlien

Cast Iron
Hi all,

A while ago I shipped an ebay-purchased travel rest from the US to Australia for the 10L. Never used it, but I've painted it. :-)

It was sold as a Heavy 10 travel rest.

I wanted to use it today so mounted it for the first time and, erm, it seems small. Like its center point is below the lathe axis.

Pics:

IMAG1066.jpgIMAG1065.jpgIMAG1064.jpgIMAG1063.jpg

Is it for a 9"?

(btw, the purchase was about 18 months ago now so too late for returns really)

Many thanks,

Greg.

Thanks Charles,

It is an SB - the logo is stamped on the jaws. At least that is what I think it is - in one of the above pics.

These is the old style of travel rest. The one you show above is the new style looking one. The lathe is from 1941 and in those days the travel and steady rests didn't look so cool!

Thanks Allan,

casting number and close up of SB logo. Not to say just because a single jaw has a logo on it that is is SB ...

IMAG1082.jpgIMAG1083.jpg

Ken, despite the bolts having a big 'M' on them they are actually 5/16" 18 bolts.

Greg.

Definitely not for a 10K (pic below), so so too close for a 9. Looks like it may not be a SB follow rest? Looks close enough to maybe elongate the mounting holes; steadies aren't exactly "high-tech or precision". Good Luck, Cheers Charles.

View attachment 193932
Car2,
What you have there is a Heavy 10 follower rest, not a 10K.
While it will fit a 10K, it is not the same.
See this thread which discribes the differences (post #11)

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...follower-rest-182677/?highlight=Follower+rest

Ted

Hi all,

A while ago I shipped an ebay-purchased travel rest from the US to Australia for the 10L. Never used it, but I've painted it. :-)

It was sold as a Heavy 10 travel rest.

I wanted to use it today so mounted it for the first time and, erm, it seems small. Like its center point is below the lathe axis.

Pics:

View attachment 193928View attachment 193929View attachment 193930View attachment 193931

Is it for a 9"?

(btw, the purchase was about 18 months ago now so too late for returns really)

Many thanks,

Greg.

Hey Greg, You fancy selling it to someone across the ditch?

Thanks Ted. Much appreciated. Haven't got a 10" tucked away in your cave of goodies there have you?

Hi Christian. This one is still useable in some way, so I'll see if I can track down a 10" replacement first. If I don't end up sending it back to the US for a swapsie then for sure it can find a new home in sunny NZ.

Greg.

Back