What's new
What's new

Turn Nado oil capacities?

ibc

Aluminum
I just wired up my 20" South Bend Turn Nado lathe?
Cat. Number is CL 200 H
It has a allen head plug in the very top of the machine and one on the back corner of the threading gear box.
The one on top is bone dry ( looked in with a flashlight) and the one on the threading gear box has 3/4 " in it.
I saw the thread on oil types and that is going to help but how much do I put in.
Carriage has a sight glass and hand pump. Should this get Way oil in it?
Thanks, Ed

There should be a lube chart on the guard or the headstock for the types of oil. I think the capasities are in the manual.
Don't put way lube in the apron.
Do you need a lube chart and/or a manual??
Ted

20" turn-nado lathe

I have the catalog sheets for that lathe 4 pages from South Bend.
PM me or e-mail if you need one.

There should be a lube chart on the guard or the headstock for the types of oil. I think the capasities are in the manual.
Don't put way lube in the apron.
Do you need a lube chart and/or a manual??
Ted

If the lube chart was snake it would have bit me.......no I do not need it.....was on the guard
Ed

gearcase

I worked on and tinkered with 17" Turnados for several years, but never layed hands on a 20". This is being written as if they were the same.
The Turnado gearbox has an oil pump in the sump at the bottom of the gearcase. That pump runs when the drive motor is running and pumps the gear oil up a tube to a flat pan mounted above the gear clusters. That is why you saw no oil thru the plug. The pan has a series of holes above each gear set positioned to drip oil onto them. I strongly recommend that you remove the top cover, six bolts as I remember, and lift the cover off. Nothing mechanical is disturbed, but there is a paper gasket around the rim. Check that all the drip holes are clear. Over the years the sump accumulates some crud and that can stop some of the gears from getting oil and allow them to self destruct. Don't ask me how I know this. You can run the motor with the cover off. but do not start the spindle unless you like oil baths.
The clutch and brake disc packs are easily adjustable, with some models having separate packs, and some combining them into a single unit.
I hope this was helpful

@codger, that would possibly be the reason there is a sight glass above the spindle. I have found three sight glasses so far, they were covered over in paint.
f058e53a.jpg

Do you know how to remove the individual clutches on a 17"-20" Turn-ado? I removed the clutch pack but I want to remove the clutches and plates so I can examine them and get them fixed.Or any pictures of one that is apart would help a lot.

Thank you so much
Steve

Do you know how to remove the individual clutches on a 17"-20" Turn-ado? I removed the clutch pack but I want to remove the clutches and plates so I can examine them and get them fixed.Or any pictures of one that is apart would help a lot.

Thank you so much
Steve

IIRC the brass keepers on the ends are cams. Push down on them and rotate 120 degrees.
Carefull, they are spring loaded.
Why did you take it apart?
Ted

Back