What's new
What's new

turning a hardened steel rod

porschejim

Plastic
Hello to the group. I just purchased a cery nice South Bend 9" model C lathe. I have never done any metal machining and figured that since I am in my mid 50s now is the time to learn.
I have a 36 ford I am restoring and need to turn 1/8 inch off a hardened steel fuel pump push rod. I was going to try to do it on my lathe but was told that it would have to ground and then re-hardened. Does anybody have any suggestions on how I can get this rod reduced and will my 9" be able to do it.
Thanks
Jim

porschejim,
I'll add my 2¢, since I'm also an old car nut ('37 Chevy & a '55 Buick) and in my 50's, although not a Ford expert and not familiar with your fuel pump push rod, nor am I a metalurgist.

The push rod is in all likelyhood, not thru-hardened, but is more likely, surface hardened. Surface hardened parts, just as the name implies, are heat treated (either flame- or case-hardened) so that the surface, down to a designated depth (.030" or so) is hardened to retard wear, while the inner core remains soft to allow some give. If the part was thru-hardened (completely hard), it would become brittle and liable to breakage.

If you remove surface metal (in your case 1/8" or .125"), you would be below the hardened surface and the part would need to be rehardened to regain the designed characteristics.

That said, if you want to turn a hardened shaft, you should be able to do so by using a carbide tool and the right feeds & speeds.

Good luck to you !! ;)
-Bob

Back