What's new
What's new

Two Collar Test Method of Alignment

Halligan

Aluminum
So after seeing iwananew10k's video with the collars I wanted to do the two collar test found in HTRAL for tailstock alignment and compare it to that other method I showed. After levelling my bed and readjusting my tailstock by my original method I made and mounted a two collar bar between centers and took a cut. The bar is 12" long and the collars spaced two inches on center from the ends, I got a deviation of less than .001 between the headstock and tailstock collars the tailstock being larger. I tweaked the tailstock towards me about .001 according to my dial indicator and repeated the test with the results being both collars pretty much exactly the same or within a few tenths. The video can be found on my channel Here:

Two Collar Lathe Alignment Test - YouTube

Part 1- Making the bar
Part 2- Making the test cut @ 15:15
Part 3- Results @ 18:38

An alternate to the bar shown in the video is to use a piece of all-thread; the largest you can fit in the bore in your spindle. Yes, cheap all-thread from the hardware store (this method is for the cheapskate).

Chuck it up and center drill each end. Accuracy is actually not important, so you can just use your 3-jaw.

Then take two nuts and two large washers (you can make your own washers out of free-machining material instead of using the junk that washers are made from) and mount a washer maybe an inch or so from each end.

Put a dog on the end and mount it up between centers using a faceplate or dog driver to drive the dog (MUSH!).

Machine both collars to get them round and a nice finish.

What you now have are two collars that are concentric with the line between the two centers. This is why the accuracy of the centers with the all-thread is not important.

Now here's where it gets different:

Machine the collar at the headstock end a small amount in one pass. Do not move the cross slide or compound.

Pull the bar out, put the dog on the other end (I suppose you could use a pair (team?) of dogs) and then move the carriage to do the same pass to the washer at that end.

Now you have a test bar with two collars the same size. You could measure to verify.

Put an indicator on the carriage and indicate one of the washers. Then move the carriage to the other end and read the indicator. If it's the same, you are good. If not, make adjustments until it is.

Note that you can measure tailstock offset as well as height.

You could use the bar in 10k's video this way as well.

I think that the advantage is that you machine it once and then measure and adjust until you have it set.

If you save the test bar in a safe place. you can always use it to re-test, without even having to take any cuts.

If I have any of this screwed up, let me know. This is a method someone showed me and I've found it to work well.

I would like to make a bar like 10k's in the future and use it this way. I'd also make a nice fitted case for it.

Steve

The two collar method works very well. However the first step in doing this is removing the
tailstock, and setting aside the machine on the floor. Do that first, then you can line up the
tailstock for center.

So after seeing iwananew10k's video with the collars I wanted to do the two collar test found in HTRAL for tailstock alignment and compare it to that other method I showed. After levelling my bed and readjusting my tailstock by my original method I made and mounted a two collar bar between centers and took a cut. The bar is 12" long and the collars spaced two inches on center from the ends, I got a deviation of less than .001 between the headstock and tailstock collars the tailstock being larger. I tweaked the tailstock towards me about .001 according to my dial indicator and repeated the test with the results being both collars pretty much exactly the same or within a few tenths. The video can be found on my channel Here:

Two Collar Lathe Alignment Test - YouTube

Part 1- Making the bar
Part 2- Making the test cut @ 15:15
Part 3- Results @ 18:38

nice vid tutorial. I made a similar bar and got similar results but I machined my bar and collars from one piece 1.75" CR1018 (IOW I didn't make my collars separate, which would have been easier but I needed practice turning and finding which bits I grind work better as I'm a beginner)

Also, I see you're drill didn't flex too much but one trick some people use that I've seen is to put a dog on the drill so the tail rests on carriage to prevent flex. Also another method is to press the back of toolholder against the bit. I haven't tried either method but probably will.

Dave

Also, I see you're drill didn't flex too much but one trick some people use that I've seen is to put a dog on the drill so the tail rests on carriage to prevent flex. Also another method is to press the back of toolholder against the bit. I haven't tried either method but probably will.

Dave

I'll have to try that out. That was my new jacobs chuck on a brand new arbor. The tang makes it so I don't have full engagement in the tapered hole until the tailstock is extended ~ 1/2" My older chuck has the tang ground off but I can't bring myself to do it to my new one.

You seem a bit defensive over the first method you used, but you shouldn't as the two collar is a better method. Sure, that is debatable, and not trying to get into a debate but just sayin'...Your best defense seems to be time, but once a two collar bar is made you have it to use for quite a while. Seems like a good investment in time, IMO, and I am planning to make one myself.

Cheers,
Alan

An alternate to the bar shown in the video is to use a piece of all-thread; the largest you can fit in the bore in your spindle. Yes, cheap all-thread from the hardware store (this method is for the cheapskate).

Chuck it up and center drill each end. Accuracy is actually not important, so you can just use your 3-jaw.

Then take two nuts and two large washers (you can make your own washers out of free-machining material instead of using the junk that washers are made from) and mount a washer maybe an inch or so from each end.

Put a dog on the end and mount it up between centers using a faceplate or dog driver to drive the dog (MUSH!).

Machine both collars to get them round and a nice finish.

What you now have are two collars that are concentric with the line between the two centers. This is why the accuracy of the centers with the all-thread is not important.

Now here's where it gets different:

Machine the collar at the headstock end a small amount in one pass. Do not move the cross slide or compound.

Pull the bar out, put the dog on the other end (I suppose you could use a pair (team?) of dogs) and then move the carriage to do the same pass to the washer at that end.

Now you have a test bar with two collars the same size. You could measure to verify.

Put an indicator on the carriage and indicate one of the washers. Then move the carriage to the other end and read the indicator. If it's the same, you are good. If not, make adjustments until it is.

Note that you can measure tailstock offset as well as height.

You could use the bar in 10k's video this way as well.

I think that the advantage is that you machine it once and then measure and adjust until you have it set.

If you save the test bar in a safe place. you can always use it to re-test, without even having to take any cuts.

If I have any of this screwed up, let me know. This is a method someone showed me and I've found it to work well.

I would like to make a bar like 10k's in the future and use it this way. I'd also make a nice fitted case for it.

Steve

Seems to me that this idea done this way would be even better:

12"-14" piece of perhaps 3/4' or so stock. center drill both ends.
Press on 2 disks perhaps 2" dia X 1" thick.
Turn one disk next to head stock, swap ends, turn other disk as above.
Place in fitted case.

Even nicer would be one piece construction from bar stock. JMHO, and more work than threaded rod....

Halligan, forgot to mention. Nice 1" standard to use to calibrate your mic, although really it doesn't need to be calibrated to measure the 2 collars as it's all relative, but I enjoy that you explain things as you go along

also, I like the idea to use plumbers tape for the dog. When I built my test bar, my dog was too small so I made my own dog out of thick copper and it cannot mare the steel, being softer (I'm not sure if the tape you use is to prevent maring or to reduce tendency to spin or both)

I'll look forward to other videos you have planned, as you indicated; great help to those of us beginners who don't know it all like some

Halligan, forgot to mention. Nice 1" standard to use to calibrate your mic, although really it doesn't need to be calibrated to measure the 2 collars as it's all relative, but I enjoy that you explain things as you go along

also, I like the idea to use plumbers tape for the dog. When I built my test bar, my dog was too small so I made my own dog out of thick copper and it cannot mare the steel, being softer (I'm not sure if the tape you use is to prevent maring or to reduce tendency to spin or both)

I'll look forward to other videos you have planned, as you indicated; great help to those of us beginners who don't know it all like some

Thanks for the kind words :) The tape works well to prevent marring and won't absorb oil like paper. It's my slow season at work and the wife works nights so I have to keep myself busy and continually learn how to use my lathe. Everything I've ever learned either for my lathe or in my chosen trade I've learned from sombody else or learned the hard way (read breaking stuff) Just trying to pass on the little that I have learned.

Lazy man's test bar

Halligan – I am amazed at the length and breadth of your 2 collar test bar video – Nice bar you made.
I was lazy when I made mine and it doesn’t deserve a wooden box as yours does – but I enclose pic just for those that might want to make a quick and dirty one. Made mine from 1.25 inch all thread which was the cheapest ‘rod’ of any thickness I had then. I think the rod was meant for mounting studs holding freeway lights bought at auction for about 5 cents a pound, but any rod or pipe with plugs welded in the end might do. Then I cut some sections of larger pipe (for the collars) that easily slid over the rod and crudely centered those collars with the threaded rod by hammering in a few nails, and then welded the pipes to the rod. It's not the best material to turn - but i think it still works
I got my lathe (13” South Bend) to one thou over that 16 inch ‘test bar’ – where I gave up trying to get ‘perfect as I spent about 2 hours including leveling with machinist level to get it there (besides I know my concrete floor moves from season to season)
A note of something I saw in your video – at about 5:30 when you are drilling with larger drill - have you noticed your drill bit keeps slipping a little bit with each peck of the drill? Not sure if your taper is spinning in tailstock or ? – but doesn’t seem like a good thing going on there.
Also wondering why not put the collars close as possible to the centers for rigidly – instead of 2 inches in?

Attachments

• TeastBar_sml_DSC_0031.jpg
    TeastBar_sml_DSC_0031.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 1,229
Halligan – I am amazed at the length and breadth of your 2 collar test bar video – Nice bar you made.
I was lazy when I made mine and it doesn’t deserve a wooden box as yours does – but I enclose pic just for those that might want to make a quick and dirty one. Made mine from 1.25 inch all thread which was the cheapest ‘rod’ of any thickness I had then. I think the rod was meant for mounting studs holding freeway lights bought at auction for about 5 cents a pound, but any rod or pipe with plugs welded in the end might do. Then I cut some sections of larger pipe (for the collars) that easily slid over the rod and crudely centered those collars with the threaded rod by hammering in a few nails, and then welded the pipes to the rod. It's not the best material to turn - but i think it still works
I got my lathe (13” South Bend) to one thou over that 16 inch ‘test bar’ – where I gave up trying to get ‘perfect as I spent about 2 hours including leveling with machinist level to get it there (besides I know my concrete floor moves from season to season)
A note of something I saw in your video – at about 5:30 when you are drilling with larger drill - have you noticed your drill bit keeps slipping a little bit with each peck of the drill? Not sure if your taper is spinning in tailstock or ? – but doesn’t seem like a good thing going on there.
Also wondering why not put the collars close as possible to the centers for rigidly – instead of 2 inches in?

Thanks for the compliment. We all use what materials we have left around :D A lot of my metal stock was given to me by a guy who lives one town over who goes to auctions and buys up machinery to resell himself. Excellent guy to deal with and prices things like somebody here would. Fairly. Last time I bought something from him he gave me over 100Lbs of metal for nothing. As far as the chuck goes it's brand new. The MT shank has a tang on it that won't let the chuck fully engage the tailstock taper untill about 1/2 inch travel. I had it too close to the part when I drilled. I don't want to grind the tang off my brand new chuck and taper. My older chuck has it ground. I needed space on the headstock end to mount the dog and enough room to not run my toolholder into it so I spaced the gaps evenly from the ends.

You might as well get rid of that tang if the only place you use that chuck is on the lathe. The tang uses up quill travel.

Back