What's new
What's new

Type of replacement steel shaft for SB horizontal drive?

Eric Commarato

Aluminum
I've decided to replace the cone pulley shaft ony SB 9" horizontal drive. The cast iron journals seem o.k. But the 7/8" shaft is pretty scored on the large drive pulley side. What type of shaft material should I use? Drill Rod might be too hard, 304 stainless? Some other type of stainless? Also I will need to make a new tapered hole for the pulley tapered pin, or should I just use a hardened split spring pin?

Thanks, Eric

C1213 C.D.S. or something similar should work fine. SBL spec'd this material for some hand wheel pinions on the apron so I would think it would work fine for a pulley shaft. You could also turn some bronze bushings and add oilers as well for a nice upgrade.

C1213 C.D.S. or something similar should work fine. SBL spec'd this material for some hand wheel pinions on the apron so I would think it would work fine for a pulley shaft. You could also turn some bronze bushings and add oilers as well for a nice upgrade.

Thanks!

I was thinking about re-bushing, but I would have to ream the existing journals to 1" and I'm afraid the casting will get too thin. I'm probably going to do the oiler upgrade.

Back