What's new
What's new

UMD 9, 10k Leveling Foot. Tailstock End

Cabbagestack

Plastic
I have a leveling foot from a SB lathe, I imagine that it's from a 9 UMD workshop or a 10K, though I have no way of being able to tell. I have attached photos of it. It has "403NK1" cast in the top piece and "402NK1" cast into the underside; you can barely make it out in the photos below, but they are there.

Also I have attached a photo of my SB 9A. It is very similar to Paula's (same Cat#).

Question: offhand, can anyone tell me if this type of foot can be adapted to a mid-40's SB 644Z 9A, like mine pictured below?

What I'm hoping for is it will be a direct replacement without a bunch of machining or fabrication. Wishful thinking, maybe. But even so I'd like to make it work, as I like the three point leveling concept. Going to build a new bench for the lathe, with the three point, in mind (if this works).

Incidentally, always have been bothered by the lack of rigidity of that 4x4 - 2x6 bench. That's gotta go! Might have been good enough for one's father or grandfather, but I simply can't have that going on. I need to get a fairly robust steel bench.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Leveling Foot Tailstock1.jpg
    Leveling Foot Tailstock1.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 220
  • Leveling Foot Tailstock2.jpg
    Leveling Foot Tailstock2.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 181
  • Leveling Foot Tailstock3.jpg
    Leveling Foot Tailstock3.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 166
  • Southbend_9_Model_A.jpg
    Southbend_9_Model_A.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 291
Last edited:
Truthfully, I have no idea. But I suspect they would be the same bolt pattern. Although the intermediate bed did use a different foot, generally speaking, I would think South Bend would try to keep the same Size bolt pattern for most of their 9 and 10K beds. The best thing I can recommend is to unbolt the lathe from the bench, block up the tailstock so you can get to it, take the foot off and compare them. Or maybe just wait till you build a new bench.

Stay safe and have fun.

Joe.

Truthfully, I have no idea. But I suspect they would be the same bolt pattern. Although the intermediate bed did use a different foot, generally speaking, I would think South Bend would try to keep the same Size bolt pattern for most of their 9 and 10K beds....

Joe, you say "intermediate bed": ---- What's strange here is that the serial is 3856NAR8 which I think is well beyond 1947. From what I can see it's about 1956. I thought the intermediate bed was in about 1946 -1947. Also it has 2" between ways and SOUTH BEND cast onto top of ONE web not two (unless there's a web I cannot see underneath everything). Thanks for your reply!

About 1947, South Bend redesigned their lathe bed for the 9N. Other than the ways themselves, it was a whole new design. It required different clamping plates and different feet. This design only lasted a year or so, and they went back to what appears to be the original design. Although they did change the leveling feet. The 1947 lathe bed is commonly known as the intermediate bed. That's what I have now. And that's what Paula had, She was the former moderator of this board, And was a great inspiration. if you wish to see an intermediate bed lathe, I suggest you look up some of her posts.

stay safe and have fun.

Joe.

Hmmm...
What remains a mystery here is my serial is clearly stamped 3856NAR. And yet the bed has 2" between ways, SOUTH BEND cast onto ONE web top, and has a pronounced lack of a lower rib along the bottom of the bed. I was under the impression that these are characteristics of the intermediate bed of 1947. But the serial doesn't appear to me to be 1947. I'm puzzled as to what I have.

Attachments

• SB serial#.jpg
    SB serial#.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Nope, According to the serial number chart, your South Bend lathe was definitely made in 1947.

Stay safe and have fun.

Joe.

Thanks for the clarification Joe! And now I'll look into blocking up the lathe to get the foot off to find out if it is a direct swap or what. The lathe is on the floor on a dolly. It has to be completely disassembled in any case, for a refurbishment --- of which I intend to make a separate thread. And I hope you will look in on that thread to give pointers. But for the time being, in wrapping this thread up for posterior (future researchers) sake I shall at least get the foot off to determine whether one, in fact, can or can't directly swap out this type of foot for the stock one (at least on a '47 that is). And possibly some speculation as to what one can do if it is, in fact impossible to swap out directly. (let's hope that is not the case). So please do, Joe, stop back by this thread!

I had a 1947 lathe that I parted out. I still have the original (rounded) feet on a shelf somewhere. I'll draw up the bolt pattern, and you can compare to your pictures of the leveling foot?

allan

I had a 1947 lathe that I parted out. I still have the original (rounded) feet on a shelf somewhere. I'll draw up the bolt pattern, and you can compare to your pictures of the leveling foot..
allan
That would be great Allan, and it will help future readers/researchers too. Thank you!

Back