What's new
What's new

Unidentified Lathe Items

Dave022

Plastic
I recently purchased an Hercus 9" Lathe which I am sure many know is a licensed clone of the South Bend 9".

I came with many items which I can identify and a few I can't. I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to help me out? If it helps the previous owner used to make grandfather clocks as a hobby.

IMG_0029.jpg

IMG_0030.jpg

This part has a cutter attached and a belt which look like it runs to this:

IMG_0031.jpg

Which has the circular dovetail to fit on the cross slide:

IMG_0032.jpg

Some sort of L bracket?

IMG_0033.jpg

I will add more in next post....

Not sure what these two are for but they are keyed?

IMG_0034.jpg

Some index plates; maybe help in the context of other parts?

IMG_0035.jpg

This attachment with a spring and pin maybe looks like it would fit hole in index plate?

IMG_0036.jpg

Not being able to identify these is probably due to my naivety..

IMG_0037.jpg

IMG_0038.jpg

Thank you in advance for all of your experience and help

The first two disks are masking plates for an indexer. The disk with holes as you suspect is a division plate for indexing and looks like it might have been set up on the lathe spindle (tail end or nose I don’t know). Also agree arm thingy is the index pin, look for corresponding mounding holes on the lathe.

What has been guessed to be a toolpost grinder may be a tool post spindle and could be used with the indexing for example to drill a bolt circle.

In the photo I see at the top a bent leg drive dog and to the right looks like a spindle nose protector for a collet setup, see if it fits the lathe spindle thread.

The first two disks are masking plates for an indexer. The disk with holes as you suspect is a division plate for indexing and looks like it might have been set up on the lathe spindle (tail end or nose I don’t know). Also agree arm thingy is the index pin, look for corresponding mounding holes on the lathe.

What has been guessed to be a toolpost grinder may be a tool post spindle and could be used with the indexing for example to drill a bolt circle.

This is awesome thank you all; could the cutter have been used to cut gears?

I'm just thinking that as the guy made clocks; presumably he cut gears somehow and he didn't have a mill.... excuse my ignorance but what do masking plates do?

This is awesome thank you all; could the cutter have been used to cut gears?

If making the works for tall clocks from a cold start was his wont?
That is exactly what he did with that rig.

"Wheels and pinions" my horological staff called them.

Tall clock is usually two plates, then MOSTLY wheels & pinions. Many such.

Escapements he probably cut with a Jeweler's saw, then hand-filed.

Back