What's new
What's new

New 10K???

Nope.
And Nope.

They've got to be having problems with the manufacturing or quality or something... Before PaPaGrizzly left the forum, he mentioned the 10K was due stateside almost a year ago. The manual upload that appeared a few weeks (?) ago is at least evidence that progress is being made. Given how long its been since the initial announcement, missed deadlines noted by PaPaGrizzly, I expect it won't be another year or even two before they're in-stock and reliably being delivered. Who am I to say, though?! Just a talking head.

Hell, if you're even considering spending what the "new" 10K's are going for, try to look for something like this (and it's the REAL deal)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320786545925&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:US:1123

Call me old fashion, but I'm not going to bid on a used lathe unless I can first go over and do the touchy feely thing, especially when it's a boat load of money. Since I'm in NC and the lathe is in NY that's a long ride just to take a look. Around here there just are not any lathes for sell period.

I was hoping the new 10K would be out by now, my old one is really shot.

Ed P

Call me old fashion, but I'm not going to bid on a used lathe unless I can first go over and do the touchy feely thing, especially when it's a boat load of money.

I agree. He didn't even take good photos of the ways near the headstock (or anywhere, for that matter), so you have no idea what condition they are in. That's a red flag in my opinion.

I agree. He didn't even take good photos of the ways near the headstock (or anywhere, for that matter), so you have no idea what condition they are in. That's a red flag in my opinion.

Looks pretty good to me. I blew up some of the pics and the ways look fine. Mine had ridges i can see and feel and its the best lathe i have run in my 35 years of operating one so that one sure has to be a heck of a lot better...Bob

Looks pretty good to me. I blew up some of the pics and the ways look fine. Mine had ridges i can see and feel and its the best lathe i have run in my 35 years of operating one so that one sure has to be a heck of a lot better...Bob

I don't think you gain any resolution once you go over the original size. The original size is pretty small. How did you bow them up? Did you ask the seller for the originals? There are still no pics of the most worn area.

Call me old fashion, but I'm not going to bid on a used lathe unless I can first go over and do the touchy feely thing, especially when it's a boat load of money. Since I'm in NC and the lathe is in NY that's a long ride just to take a look. Around here there just are not any lathes for sell period.

I was hoping the new 10K would be out by now, my old one is really shot.

Ed P

But you're OK buying made in china/taiwanese? I'd have to say they are about on the same level of gamble. You can actually speak to the guy in NY, filter what he says, get photographs, etc. Actually go and look at itwithin an 10-12 hr drive if you wanted to, or SW airlines plane flight for even less time & $$.

The OE SB will hold its value for the near future for years. The grizzly taiwanese SB will loose half its value every 2-3 yrs...so there are more variables than what first appear.

Spending the kind of $$ on new grizzly SB's when there are a couple crate fresh SB's around seems pretty crazy. The kind of $$ you'd spend on a new grizzly SB would probably get you a pretty decent used Hardinge HLV-H.

My wild, specious, crazy and unfounded suspicion is that the local Chinese apparatchiks are people, just like you and me; they think that's the neatest little lathe, they Google around the 'net, found plenty of like-minded people, and have decided that their local village needs to get a hundred of these units, for doing "stuff" around the farm, etc.

It fits on a bullock cart, it can be carried through the hut's doorway, what's not to like? :)

It's 500 pounds; the next sized lathe is 2,000 pounds (and $10,000 additional), so the apparatchiks are smitten with the 10K's portability. Anger the local government, they come and cart away your lathe.

But in one big way, apparatchiks aren't like you and me; they have unquestioned powers and unreasonable demands.

So.... (my wacko theory follows)

Grizzley is being drowned in bribery requests and outright theft of these units from the factory, and there's no end in sight.

Or....

What's the market for an .86 spindle bore, with 28 inches between centers?

I was hoping the thread would cause "Mr. Grizzly" to give us an update on the progress of the lathe since he has not done so in quite awhile. Maybe it's just the economy.

Ed P

Is it out yet? Has anyone purchased one?

Ed P

We just started shipping them. They are trickling in 10 at a time. Lots, and lots of backorders for them from dealers around the country so it will be a while before we have enough to be caught up.

I would imagine that by spring we will have enough stock.

I don't think you gain any resolution once you go over the original size. The original size is pretty small. How did you bow them up? Did you ask the seller for the originals? There are still no pics of the most worn area.

Hit the Ctrl key and tap the + symbol. Maybe the area isn't wore out i would bet if the plastic is still on the tags it wasn't used much. Just my thought...Bob

So.... (my wacko theory follows)

Grizzley is being drowned in bribery requests and outright theft of these units from the factory, and there's no end in sight.

Or....

What's the market for an .86 spindle bore, with 28 inches between centers?

The most redicoulous theory I've heard in years!:willy_nilly:

As for the .86 spindle bore probably the same market there was for one 20 even 40 years ago, small shops and hobby use guys.

For that matter, wasn't there a fellow/friend of Ted's who had a new in crate 10k for sale for quite a bit less than that $6k ebay lathe?

As far as I know, The 10K gap lathe that I advertised is still available. I haven't talked to the owner in a while.
See the thread in this link:
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/south-bend-lathes/fs-10k-gap-bed-lathe-n-o-s-221476/index2.html
If someone is interested in buying, I can find out more info.
Ted
[email protected]

Just what is a 10K worth to you people. I have one I bought brand spanking new in Houston Texas from Coastal bend machinery in 1980 Long bed taper attachment steady and follower rest and chucks and collets . Have quick change tool post and about 30 holders with plenty of other tooling with it Cost a little more than $4000.00 then . Only used for building my models. All can be seen here
Two-Buddies
Pictures by lane5263 - Photobucket
Don`t want to sell it but any offers just curious.

We just started shipping them. They are trickling in 10 at a time. Lots, and lots of backorders for them from dealers around the country so it will be a while before we have enough to be caught up.

I would imagine that by spring we will have enough stock.

Thank you. I've been to the Southbend site and the only dealer they list is the one in Washington. Can you list all of the dealers? I would love to go by and take a look as soon
as one is available.

Ed P

Back