What's new
What's new

Value of My South Bend Lathe?

Jerry Hunt

Plastic
I retired in March and am liquidating my entire shop that includes an early 9" X 48" South Bend lathe.

I am the 2nd owner of this lathe, which I bought in 2012 from a 98 year old retired machinist who purchased it new.

It's in great shape and holds tolerances of .001" to .002", and has been used daily up until September of this year.

Can anyone give me a value that I can use in a Craig's List posting?

Attachments

• South Bend Lathe - 1.jpg
    South Bend Lathe - 1.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 1,413
  • South Bend Lathe - 2a.jpg
    South Bend Lathe - 2a.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 381
  • South Bend Lathe - 2b.jpg
    South Bend Lathe - 2b.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 295
Here in the north east we have a hard time getting $700 for a lathe like that with the bench!!! I don't know what availability of used nachines is in Oregon. Start with an ad here or even on Chaski. If they are rare for your area then right around $1000 would be fair. As with most families when a person dies with these old machines the kids will just load this stuff in a dumpster. If they do sell it it will go for scrap.

If you have all the gears, maybe $750 around here to someone who does not know what they are buying and have been told they want a "South Bend".

To anyone who knows what they are looking at (Model C that uses the leadscrew threads for feeding, wearing them out, no power cross feed, maybe $400 tops. A bit more depending on the accessories and tooling. If you have a lot of accessories, they may be worth more parted out.

Like others noted, start it around $1K or even $1,200 on the west coast. You might get the naif that does not know the difference among the small 9" & 10K models and actually thinks they are getting a deal.
Or the guy who has been looking at $2K model A's and 10K's (On your side of the country) and decides to buy the C model "cheap" and get parts on eBay to convert it to an A......

smt

Thanks for your help guys!

I've put it on Craig's List for $1,250 OBO, along with the attached images of the accessories and tooling that goes with the sale.

Attachments

• South Bend Lathe - 3.jpg
    South Bend Lathe - 3.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 319
  • South Bend Lathe - 4.jpg
    South Bend Lathe - 4.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 331
  • South Bend Lathe - 5.jpg
    South Bend Lathe - 5.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 307
  • South Bend Lathe - 6.jpg
    South Bend Lathe - 6.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 278
  • South Bend Lathe - 7.jpg
    South Bend Lathe - 7.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 276
That's $800 worth of accessories right there on a good day. I wouldn't dip much on the OBO. You could part it out for some good money.

That's $800 worth of accessories right there on a good day. I wouldn't dip much on the OBO. You could part it out for some good money.

Parting out a lathe like that is a good way to end up with a bunch of parts you cannot get rid of, like the bed. Your price would be a bit high around here, but might fly in oregon.

allan

I wouldn't be interested in parting it out, as it's to much work, but I will go down on price once my Portland OR Craig List posting expires if its not sold.

Posting here on PM in the classified section, as suggested earlier by "tommy1010" may attract the right kind of buyer with a larger qualified audience nationally, but I think with the shipping costs it may net me less dollars.

I'm curious...with the accessories what $ number do you guys think would attract a multitude of potential buyers locally?

I think you are about right for your area at 1250...it will sell.
but your timing is bad right before Christmas so might take a little longer than usual.

I really appreciate all you guys input. I'm not in any hurry to sell but I think I'll remove my OBO from the listing and see what it attracts.

Thanks!

Just a note...I sold my lathe off Craig's List this morning for $1,150 to a rancher who drove 3 1/2 hours to come pick it up. It's a Christmas gift for his son, who was there with his dad and he was thrilled with the lathe.

Thanks to all you guys for your help.

Merry Christmas!

Back