What's new
What's new

Value of a South Bend 10k

Dan1900

Aluminum
Hello,

I am trying to get a rough approximation of the value of a South Bend 10k lathe I recently picked up. It came with an 8" 4 jaw and a 6" 3 jaw". It has the original v belt setup. However, the bed has some wear and there is a 0.008" drop in the saddle when going from the end of the 4' bed to the tailstock. I would like to try and get a feel for fair market value. There is no rust on the machine and the paint is fresh (work in progress).

Thanks

Small dials or large?
Any accessories like a steady or a follow or Carriage stop?
Is it on a nice factory stand?
How's the Leadscrew wear, half nuts, compound/Crossfeed backlash?
Does it have a thread Dial?
Regular tailstock?
Taper attachment?
Collet attachment?
Single or 3 phase motor?
Tool holder?

If it's really bad it might only be worth a few hundred bucks to someone whole.

If any of the parts mentioned are present and in decent shape it could easily be worth $1,000 to $1,500.

Pictures would help.

I'm viewing mobile so I cannot see your location, that actually matters a lot when selling locally.

Just a little curious: If you already have it, why are you worried about how much it's worth? As mentioned above, how much it's worth depends on what stuff came along with it in the deal.

Hello,

I am trying to get a rough approximation of the value of a South Bend 10k lathe I recently picked up. It came with an 8" 4 jaw and a 6" 3 jaw". It has the original v belt setup. However, the bed has some wear and there is a 0.008" drop in the saddle when going from the end of the 4' bed to the tailstock. I would like to try and get a feel for fair market value. There is no rust on the machine and the paint is fresh (work in progress).

Thanks
Picture is worth a thousand words.

Small dials or large? - large
Any accessories like a steady or a follow or Carriage stop? - carriage stop, 3&4 jaw chucks
Is it on a nice factory stand? - no
How's the Leadscrew wear, half nuts, compound/Crossfeed backlash? - worn, but will be replaced
Does it have a thread Dial? - no
Regular tailstock? - yes
Taper attachment? - no
Collet attachment? - no
Single or 3 phase motor? - single 120v
Tool holder? - yes, import QCTP

If it's really bad it might only be worth a few hundred bucks to someone whole.

If any of the parts mentioned are present and in decent shape it could easily be worth $1,000 to $1,500.

Pictures would help.

I'm viewing mobile so I cannot see your location, that actually matters a lot when selling locally.

I will post photos when the restore is complete. I am trying to get a feel for what the market value would be when cleaned up to see if it is worth flipping and getting a slightly larger machine (maybe a heavy 10 or 13").

Rustoleum restorations are a big flag for me. If it was taken apart, cleaned, and new felts installed is OK. The wear is what concerns me and most people who deal with this stuff. You will see many posts here that say clean it up, oil it, and make chips. I am not sure how you measured the wear but even a worn bed in the right hands can make good parts. The bed is not the only thing that wears. Look at the bottom of the tailstock mount. Tailstock bed ways. Half nuts and leadscrew. Backlash of the cross feed and compound nuts. Spindle bearings and all associated gear train gears. As stated above the tooling with it is the money pit. Buying machines to clean and paint for resell can be a hobby for some but not very lucrative.

I will post photos when the restore is complete. I am trying to get a feel for what the market value would be when cleaned up to see if it is worth flipping and getting a slightly larger machine (maybe a heavy 10 or 13").

It'll be worth a hundred or so more than what you paid. Most people that are buying these lathes are getting them as a hobby, not purchasing for a business. And since it's a hobby, they will clean/paint themselves. So your efforts are in vain if you're trying to make money.

Again, I'll give you what you paid for that steady/follower rest that you can't use.

Gosh! Here I thought a used lathe was worth just a few bucks less than what you've put into it. Here I find you could make maybe a hundred bucks or so profit after the 300 hours of work that you put into it.

Speaking in general terms I think any plain running South Bend is worth $500.

Add up the extras you have at very conservative figures: 2 chucks at $100 each, a carriage stop at $50, large dials add about $100, a quick change gear box adds about $200 and let's just say some people would pay an extra $50 because it's single phase.

That's $1,100, which I think is a solid figure but you have Bed wear and no thread Dial. Subtract $100 for each and realistically you are at $900. Any lower and you'd come out better to part it out.

If you have a steady rest they are worth a solid $200 any day of the week and a follow rest is usually well over $100 so adjust accordingly.

Location is everything. Whatever opinions you get here may not reflect your local market. I suspect lathes are fairly common in Michigan which lowers the value. But there are people with money looking for good older lathes, and they will travel to get one.

But here is a price point: I have a nice, unrestored 10K. Large dials, good halfnuts, tight spindle. Steady rest, taper attachment, threads dial, carriage stop. I will add a QCTP from Shars, along with some cutters etc such that it can be used immediately. As is, clean, unmounted It will bring $1500 here in N Texas. On a nice bench, turnkey I would get $2500. Painted $2750. Many people prefer the patina to new paint

It is understandable to want to know if you got a good deal or paid too much. Are you keeping it for use or looking to flip it?
Having bought and then upgraded to other machines myself, it is definitely best to figure out what you want first. You end up spending a lot of time and effort picking up, transporting, cleaning up, fixing, ect., ect, and in the end you aren't going to make anything if you look at the time involved x what ever you think your time is worth.
I finlly got my ideal machine after 2 others. Only $1000 for a solid Delta 11" lathe. I still have the first Southbend 9", but it will only ever be a second operation machine. I also definitely feel the Delta is a better option than anything but late 70's and up heavy 10. I would have ended up paying $3000+ that Southbend. Its great to be a fan of a brand, buit in all reality, your opinion should be base on the capability of a machine rather than sentiment.

Example - Pick up a lathe for $500 you think is worth or can be sold at $1000. Take $25 per hour. 20 hours and you just break even.

My 10k is like new, no wear anywhere. It has the original paint with just a few little dings. It is one owner. It is fully equipped with EVERYTHING, including steady, follower, taper attachment, 4 chucks, metric change gear set, original rocker tool post and holders (never used), original Mulifix A QCTP with all the holders and all the original factory centers and wrenches. I also have all the original purchase order and delivery paper work for this lathe from SB from 1980. I would not consider selling this for less than $4k..........jus saying.

My 10k is like new, no wear anywhere. It has the original paint with just a few little dings. It is one owner. It is fully equipped with EVERYTHING, including steady, follower, taper attachment, 4 chucks, metric change gear set, original rocker tool post and holders (never used), original Mulifix A QCTP with all the holders and all the original factory centers and wrenches. I also have all the original purchase order and delivery paper work for this lathe from SB from 1980. I would not consider selling this for less than $4k..........jus saying.
Precisely. I don't blame you. That type of machine is a exception. I wouldn't consider selling that one at all.

I'm still waiting for a gear to come in and to get the motor hooked up but here is the lathe in progress. Another worn gear and the cross feed screw/nut have been replaced.

Although I really like the south bend lathes I think long term I will end up with a monarch, either a 10ee or a 16". I am hoping to maybe buy, fix, and flip my way to one but that's a long shot and quite a ways down the road (I do enjoy restoring these tools though even if the hourly return $ works out to be minimal). First and foremost I want to learn as this is just a hobby.

This is the 2nd lathe I own, the first being a 9c I bought, restored and flipped to make a small profit and keep the tooling. Factoring that in I am down about $600 for this lathe with 3 & 4 jaw chuck / QCTP from the last lathe. I am in MI. I could always post to craiglist but am just trying to get a ballpark idea of value if I should decide to flip.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Back