What's new
What's new

value of taper attachment for SB9?

maddis

Plastic
My SB9A came with an original taper attachment that I've thought about selling. I spent five minutes on Google and I can't find any guidance on what it might be worth. Any ideas?

And, doing my due diligence, I've now spent another 20 minutes on google, and read through several old threads on this forum.

I found one reference to "complete sets tend to be around $400."

Kind of a snotty response, don't you think? I do research for a living, and turn away people regularly who haven't done their homework. I've also been on numerous interest forums over the years and I've never gotten such a lukewarm reaction over an initial post. Hope all machine people aren't like this. Jeez.

Don't have a number for you , and am unsure about a SB9 , but on a 10 the lathe with a taper attachment uses a different cross-feed screw than the one without taper . So , different screw and different nut . Chip guard too .
May not be much advantage to selling the taper attachment , and then buying the parts to make your lathe whole again .
A taper attachment without the nut , screw , chip guard , and all other associated items is incomplete .
Consider keeping your lathe original ; it may reveal its usefulness to you in the future .

the crossfeed is different from the non-taper 9.
would need to replace it with the non-taper type.
as far as a value,take it off,save it and when you choose to sell,its a feature some look for in a lathe.

i have used my taper attatchment a few times,for making morse tapers is one i can think of off the top.

They seem to sell complete and in good shape (i.e. with cross slide and all other parts) on ebay in the $400-600 range.
The ebay completed listings don't go back that far.
Be patient and watch a few come and go.
Or just start a no reserve auction at .99 ending on a Saturday at 7:00PM and watch it hit its real value pretty fast.

I bought *most* of one here on PM for about $175 and spent another $80 on the slide block.
Had to make a gib and the hold down handle.
Still don't have the proper cross slide but I am working on a jury rig setup so I can at least use what I have.

ebay has become just plain stupid in the way people price stuff.
someone will list a taper attachment or some such thing for $600 and then keep re-listing it for the next 2 years because no one will buy it.

then everyone thinks that the piece of junk they have rusting away in their shed is gold, puts it on CL and says "they go for $600 on ebay" but never notice that it`s been on ebay for 2 years...

my rant for the day. :)

I wanted to get one, but could not afford the things on ebay.
Having spent quite a bit of time tracking the prices for completed listings that actually SOLD I think that range actually represents what some people will pay.
The fact is that there are people out there who have money and just want what they want when they want it.
Those people make ebay prices higher then what I can afford, but that is life.
good thing I like projects... :)

I would SERIOUSLY consider holding onto it. If you plan on using your lathe at all, you will definitely find it useful. Making your own tooling, or adapting other tapers to fit yours are just two very limited examples. Very useful for buying old iron with odd tapers for a big discount and making them work for you.

This is one of those things that you almost need to get with the machine when you buy it...otherwise they're ridiculously expensive.

I must add that I totally agree with ScubaSteve. You're better off keeping it.

My 9A came with taper attachment, and the thought of selling it hasn't even crossed my mind. As you gain experience with your lathe, you will definitely find it useful.

When you ask what an item is worth, what you will get back his opinions based on how your question is phrased. Not knowing the condition of an item or how complete the item might be along with the location has a lot to do with it. And you cannot go solely on what an item would run on eBay. I have seen items go for much less than what I thought they were worth to values going well beyond good sense. For instance, years ago I saw a complete set of 3C collets with closer in the box go for well over $1200 plus shipping. At that time the value of the same item should have been less than $700. I myself have sold parts on eBay that have both been disappointing in what they brought to a absolute ridiculous price. For instance I sold a part for a Commodore 64 computer that I expected to bring between 25 and $50. And originally I had posted US only on the listing but a guy emailed me from Australia and begged me to accept his bid. Knowing that the shipping costs would be outrageous, I tried to talk him out of it, but he was persistent so I agreed to accept his bid. The item went For $150 plus shipping to Australia, which nearly doubled the price. But he wanted the part. Even now it's hard to believe that someone would pay that much for that item.

What is a part worth, the part is worth what you get for it. One individual may think that an item is not worth near that price, another individual might think it's a great deal. It all depends on who you ask and how much they are willing to pay for the item.

Joe.

If it's a factory fitted taper attachment, leave it right where it is. It adds value if you decide to sell the lathe. Do you have a operable machine in good condition? If it is, why would you sell off parts only to purchase other parts to make it functional again? Anyway, don't chop it up...selling off parts is done when a machine isn't worth fixing i.e. bad bedways,bad headstock, generally high dollar repair items.

If Humphrey Bogart were to comment on whether you should sell it, he'd say "you'll regret it. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life."

Steve

Taper is one of those things that don't add a lot of value to a lathe, but everyone likes to have one when they look at a lathe. Kind of like a realtor telling you that nice landscaping doesn't add to a home's value, but it helps it sell faster.

If I had a choice between two lathes, one with taper, and one without, I'd buy the one with taper. Its something I don't use often, but it's mighty nice to have when you need it.

A taper attachment on any lathe makes me think it's a little more special, bumping it up to a tool room class. Not just some production beater.
Let me beat someone to the punch. I know putting a TA on a 6" Craftsman doesn't make it a tool room lathe.

I have noticed a lack of patience/courtesy but I must say that whenever I have a question I have received great advice. As to your question I have spent so much time finding lost parts for my equipment that I hate to see one split up.

I was given a SB 9A taper attachment years ago. Was going to put it on one of my lathes, but then found I needed a different crosslide and screw. It's still sitting behind lathe unused. Would sell or trade it to someone who could use it.

Thanks everyone. Very consistent advice. I'm planning to use this machine to carve briar pipes - so any tapering I would want to do would be with the hand wheels anyway. That's why I was considering it. But you've well convinced me that it's part of the lathe and should stay with it. Thanks for the feedback!

Back