What's new
What's new

Want to buy heavy 10 gearbox

dcstang1967

Aluminum
I am looking to buy either a single tumbler heavy 10 gearbox with 24 tooth leadscrew gear no banjo or idler gears needed. I will also consider a double tumbler heavy 10 gearbox if it has all the banjo, idler gear, drive gear, and 24 tooth leadscrew gear with it.

I bought a single tumbler box on ebay and got screwed. The part that was broken off the top lever was supposed to be with it, but went missing, the gearshift lever was missing the gear and bolt that was shown in the picture, the leadscrew gear was missing, and the input driveshaft was missing that was also supposed to be included.

Top is what i was supposed to get and bottom pic is what i actually got. Im very disappointed.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395241086.443378.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395241106.301874.jpg

Im already in the process of that. Waiting to hear back from him. Im going to give him another 4 hours and then im going to file a claim with ebay. I would be interested in your parts if you have them. Let me know what you got. Thanks.

Is that small gear in the upper right the one that goes onto the lower gearshift lever? How much do you want for that gear, the shaft and the upper lever?

No, I don't have the tumbler gear. That gear in the back row, just right of center is the leadscrew gear, IIRC.

Perhaps one of the loose gears I have could be modified to fit? I don't know the tooth count on the tumbler gear.

allan

Im just now measuring the distance from the leadscrew to the mounting surface of the bead and my lathe (1919 SB 13") is 2.5" to center. The heavy 10 gearbox is 2" to center. I dont think my idea is going to work.

Good point. You could certainly add an idler in the gear train, but bigger everything would be better. How did you wind up deciding to get a 10L gearbox instead of a 13?

allan

Because all the 13" parts i can find have a 6tpi leadscrew and mine is 8tpi. The 10l also has 8tpi so the feed rates will remain the same.

So you just change the stud gear. Instead of the 18 tooth gear used by the 6tpi 13", you use a 24 tooth gear. Now the gearbox turns at 4/3 its original speed, and so does the output. 6 * 4/3 = 8.

allan

The stud gear I have for this project is a 24 tooth so it looks like im good there. Im in the process of making a deal on a 13" gearbox and the complete banjo and gear set. I will keep you posted.

I took some quick measurements this morning and it looks like the heavy 10 box and banjo gears will reach the stud gear even with the 1/2" spacer. I think it will be more affordable for me to follow through with the heavy 10 conversion seeing how i have most of the parts already. And the parts are easier to find. The guy with the 13" gearbox, lead screw gear, drive gear and banjo assembly wants about $400 for everything.

The drive gear on the 13" gearbox is 4.85" diameter and it has 66 teeth. Im am coming up with 14dp. Does this seem correct? If so it definitely wont work with my 24 tooth 18dp stud gear and im sure it will be next to impossible to find a 24 tooth 14dp stud gear.

Yeah, you might have to make one if you wanted a 14DP 24 tooth gear, though someone might have a used one around. Did you also check the leadscrew distance away from the face of the bed? you might have to set the gearbox back a bit.

allan

Nope i didnt even think of that. The good thing about spacing the box 1/2" down is i can make my adapter to move it in or out at the same time.

That gear is 16DP, 5/8 bore, 5/8 face width, 24 teeth, and obviously spent most of its life running against a narrower gear. I think that describes the single tumbler leadscrew gear. Did you get the rest of your parts from the seller? Maybe we should wait and see if you need any of these other bits, save you some money if I don't have to send you a third package :)

allan

Back