What's new
What's new

Wanted: Drawer latch for Cabinet

Erich

Hot Rolled
I am looking for a latch and knob assembly for a 1943 SB Heavy 10 lathe.

It has the cabinet with U shaped legs and 3 drawers on the right.

One drawer has no latch.

The latch has a number stamped on the inside. Does anybody know if this is the latch part number or possibly the tumbler number for the lock.

I have no keys for the two I have so having them keyed alike is not too important I guess.

Anyway the number is 35 - RO - 2.

Does anyone have one for sale?

These cabinets were not very strong, IMO, and I have 2 drawers on mine that need to be tack welded or soldered and the front came loose.

You might be able to find a latch that would work at McMaster-Carr, but if you want it to be original looking you might need to fabricate something yourself.

The door latch is not a common part that comes up.:nono: In fact I would wager to guess that there are more missing as the quality of the cabinet with the u-shaped legs is not very robust, IMO, at least speaking of the drawers. Seems to hold the lathe fine and the motor mount seems robust, but the drawers are pretty flimsy...

One drawer has no latch.

The latch has a number stamped on the inside. Does anybody know if this is the latch part number or possibly the tumbler number for the lock.

I have no keys for the two I have so having them keyed alike is not too important I guess.

I might have one kicking around somewhere, not sure if its the exact one you're looking for but I know its a South Bend. I'll check it out when I get home this evening.
-Eric

Thanks so much for checking. Much appreciated. We Erics have to stick together.

Yes we do :D Not the same as you were looking for, and unfortunately couldn't find the knob for it - but one could be made easy enough, would this work? The main body is about 1.3" square, overall about 2" wide, holes are spaced just about 1.6" apart. .75" barrel diameter.
-Eric
IMG_2277.jpgIMG_2276.jpg

The person I mentioned has two but he needs your email address to contact you directly. You can either post it or message it to me if you're still interested.

Except for the number, that looks exactly like my latch. That an the missing knob.

Maybe that number is the lock keying number and not a latch part number.

I have another line on one below. If that doesn't pan out (hoping it has the knob) I will certainly take yours.

One drawer has no latch.

Did you ever find one? I am looking for two to accompany the one that I have. Here's a photo of the one that I have:

Back