What's new
What's new

Wanted tail stock for 14.5" south bend lathe

if it’s like my 16”, it’s soft metal and has a press fit from the bottom side of the casting. Drive it through from the outside and it will fall out of the quill bore.

Once it’s out you can reshape it and reinstall.

set screw on underside was broken. Drilled it out.tried to punch out key from there ,no luck

set screw on underside was broken. Drilled it out.tried to punch out key from there ,no luck

Before I paid for a new tailstock, I’d pay for a bigger hammer. :)

As Iwananew10k says above, it’s on an angle so drive accordingly. It will come out. Might need to add some heat to break the schmoo bond loose.

if it’s like my 16”, it’s soft metal and has a press fit from the bottom side of the casting. Drive it through from the outside and it will fall out of the quill bore.

Once it’s out you can reshape it and reinstall.

got it thank you al

got it thank you al

Ted may have more NOS tailstock quills for your machine, although parts for a 14.5 are rarer. The new quill made a night and day difference on my 16" without any work to address wear inside the TS bore yet.

I'm planning to bore the old quill out for occasional use with MT4 drills. I just need to get more comfortable boring with the taper attachment before I take it on.

Back