What's new
What's new

War production board 9b restoration

Bman2000

Plastic
Well, got a lathe months ago and just recently started the whole redo it thing. I have to order a few tools and what not to disassemble it without damaging anything hopefully. Already bought the Ebay book and read though it. I did have a question though, I’ve read a few of the rebuild threads so it’s entirely possible I missed this but but I’ll be polishing the ends of handles(things that get direct finger contact). But I disassembled the tail stock since that and some of the guards are about all I can deal with at the moment. But the quill has a bit of surface rust, and a few scores in it near the front, the nose seems a bit banged up too, the taper looks clean though. Best way to clean this up as close as I can to new? I had read fine steel wool and mineral spirits is the best way to clean this stuff up? Any help would be appreciated thank you. I’ll see if I can get a few pictures of it before I get to far into stripping and what not.

Welcome to PM and congratulations on your new lathe. I'm sure it will be a fun project. There is certainly no better way to propel yourself towards popularity around here than shining up handles. Beware of using the word "restoration" though. The sharks will be circling soon to inform you that it isn't a restoration unless you grind the bed, make a new leadscrew, fabricate new gears from scratch and bore and ream your tailstock quill to accept a new, larger taper. But I digress...

Here's Brad's video on shinin' handles.

How To #2: Polishing Ball Crank Handles - YouTube

Thank you, I have seen the video but still appreciate it. Did you happen to have any recommendations for taking care of the quill? Don’t think I can polish it, also looks like someone smacked the end win a hammer of maybe terrible aim and missed a lot...

Back