What's new
What's new

War time 16" x 36" south bend lathe

Sachmanram

Stainless
I answered an ad in the local KIJIJI ( kinda like craigslist ) on the weekend, and ended up buying this lathe.

IMG_0252%20800x600_zpsz578v9q8.jpg

It's a little worse for wear, but I think that it will clean up nicely. The sad thing about this lathe, is that at some point in time, someone removed every single brass placard and also the brass/ bronze tumbler-reverse handle, so I am guessing on the model. It looks to be a 15" swing.

Here's a pic of the serial # ...

IMG_0258%20800x600_zpsemdquyah.jpg

From what I can figure out, it was built in 1943 and served in the U.S. Navy. That's interesting.

Here's the lathe in my driveway before bringing it into the shop...

IMG_0256%20800x600_zpsooq8bzam.jpg

The lathe was loaded onto the trailer with a good sized Kubota tractor, which was all it could do to lift it high enough. On my end, all I have is a 2 ton engine hoist, so I ended up dismantling it, piece by piece and onto the floor.

Here's a series of pics of that process...

IMG_0259%20800x600_zpsrcavjrid.jpg

IMG_0261%20800x600_zpsakfhhald.jpg

IMG_0260%20800x600_zpspsiw6z1u.jpg

IMG_0264%20800x600_zps69ftdomf.jpg

IMG_0267%20800x600_zpszl270jae.jpg

IMG_0271%20800x600_zpslczb0pqj.jpg

IMG_0273%20800x600_zps9n49fls7.jpg

IMG_0278%20800x600_zpshbczdyia.jpg

IMG_0280%20800x600_zpsmyy43mns.jpg

IMG_0282%20800x600_zpsnsu3uxl0.jpg

IMG_0283%20800x600_zpsw9kbenv4.jpg

The process took two hours to complete, but it went smoothly. Now, the real work begins.... It's missing a few bits and pieces, but I should be able to find them.

Brian

Oh, and some of you will notice that the compound is something that was home made, but I have the original (I hope) compound in the truck. It is suspicious that someone would replace it with a home made one...

Last edited:
Nice lathe. I think it is either a 14-1/2 or 16. We won't know until you measure it. The parts that are missing belong to the taper attachment. My lathe looked much like that last month. Have fun. They are addicting!

Looks like my 16", only with a shorter bed. The headstock will have segmented cast iron spindle bearings (no dovetail adjuster screws for bronze insert bearings visible) same as my original headstock.

Keep us posted!

Hi Fellas :)

Actually, I do have the other parts for the taper attachment. I am missing the handle for the belt tensioner, as well as the linkage for the tensioner does not appear to be complete, or simply disconnected. I assumed that it was a 15" based on what I measured, so this lathe is likely known as a 14 1/2".

Thomas, I read through your rebuild thread, prior to going out to look at the lathe, and assumed that it would have the segmented cast iron bearings. Excellent write up, by the way... Before I actually bought the lathe, I removed the front cap for inspection. It appears that all of the original shims are present, with brass ones on top of some other type of shims underneath. The spindle looks good so far, but there is some scoring in the bearings. I suspect that the oiling felts are all plugged up. I'll be ordering a rebuild kit soon.

Brian

I may have some of the tensioner parts you're missing. Unfortunately they're all packed for a move to Tucson and I probably won't have access to them before October.

I'd be curious to know if the 14.5 and the 16 share a common underdrive and/or bed castings.

Looking forward to seeing the progress.

Tom

You can get a new QC gearbox plate from ebay. It looks like the entire compound assembly has been replaced using steel billet. Am I seeing that correctly?

You can get a new QC gearbox plate from ebay. It looks like the entire compound assembly has been replaced using steel billet. Am I seeing that correctly?

Yes, you are correct that the entire compound that is presently on the cross slide is home made. If you read the last paragraph of my first post, I do mention that. I have a bit of free time this afternoon, and plan on going down to the shop to see if the other compound actually fits.

Brian

I may have some of the tensioner parts you're missing. Unfortunately they're all packed for a move to Tucson and I probably won't have access to them before October.

I'd be curious to know if the 14.5 and the 16 share a common underdrive and/or bed castings.

Looking forward to seeing the progress.

Tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the offer of the parts. I'll have to get a parts list of some kind, or maybe the rebuild kit with the manual would be enough to tell me what I might be missing.

With the headstock off of the lathe bed and on a piece of lumber, if I measure from the crest of the dovetail to the center line of the spindle, I measure approximately 7 3/4". Does this sound like the right measurement for a 14 1/2" swing?

Brian

[

"I'd be curious to know if the 14.5 and the 16 share a common underdrive and/or bed castings."

Back again Tom... if you go to this link http://wswells.com/data/catalog/100B/cat_100B.pdf ....and scroll down to page 15 (16" lathe) and then to page 17 (14 1/2" lathe), you will see a difference in the base castings, in that the 14 1/2" base casting has a horizontal ridge just above the door that doesn't show on the 16". Is your base casting the same as the catalogue image? If so, this also answers my question about the swing of my lathe. I'm pretty sure that it must be a 14 1/2" swing.

Brian

Oh, you said "bed" castings... :o

Last edited:
Thanks for the PDF files, John :) Looks like some good reading. That QC gear box tag muddies the waters a bit. I think that it would be a real stretch to call my lathe a 16" swing, though...

Brian

John, if I'm looking at the correct page, that PDF scan is showing the gearbox plate for a dual tumbler machine, not the single tumbler he needs.

Sure wish all my stuff wasn't in crates for the move or I could be of some actual help...sorry!

John, if I'm looking at the correct page, that PDF scan is showing the gearbox plate for a dual tumbler machine, not the single tumbler he needs.

Sure wish all my stuff wasn't in crates for the move or I could be of some actual help...sorry!

No worries, Tom.... You are a great help already with your excellent rebuild thread. There are some really good tips in there. I won't be able to afford to bring this lathe to the level that you did with yours, but I will definitely leave it in better condition than when I found it.

Well, I went down to the shop to see if the spare compound was original.... sadly, not... The flame cut compound has a base which might have been a larger South Bend compound cut to fit, as the tapered pivot is a perfect fit and has a scraped in finish.

IMG_0285%20600x800_zpsqtendrpl.jpg

IMG_0286%20600x800_zpsotjoywvd.jpg

Here is a couple of pics of the spare compound. Clearly not for this machine....

IMG_0287%20600x800_zpsixk6lquh.jpg

IMG_0288%20600x800_zpsvgttndm3.jpg

I'm sure that a compound for this lathe would be as rare as hen's teeth, as far as spares... I'm going to have to rethink how much time and effort I want to put into this lathe.

Here is a pic of the taper attachment with the other parts that were in a bucket...

IMG_0284%20800x600_zpsb7y0i4om.jpg

I see that I am also missing the bed clamp, as well as the clamping bar.

This 3 jaw Burnerd chuck came with the lathe, but obviously doesn't mount to it. There are also two NOS sets of chuck jaws by Burnerd in the mix, but they don't quite fit the chuck.

IMG_0294%20800x600_zpszh2h15gd.jpg

IMG_0295%20800x600_zps2qjt1z4n.jpg

I guess if I knew South Bend lathes better than I do, I would have known by the base that the spare compound wouldn't fit the lathe and I might have walked away. Oh well.... I can console myself with the fact that I only have $400.00 in it... :nutter:

Brian

I like it.

Plaza has 16" compound listed(pretty sure it will fit- 2.750" hole in cross slide?? Ted likely has one and they pop up on eBay too, usually for less money than a 10L compound.

Steady looks like someone milled some off the bottom of the flat way- if you stick a shim under the flat will it sit right??

If the bed is decent I think it will be a fun and worthy project!

#232 on this list-
http://www.plazamachinery.com/files/Metal-5-15-2016.pdf

Wow !! Thank you so much for your encouragement... :)

... and thanks for the link. I thought that they would be almost impossible to find. I'll have to have another look at the steady. Seems to me that no matter which "V" way I put it on, it's off center horizontally.

Brian

Back