What's new
What's new

Warm bearing cap on a 16

PHDesigns

Hot Rolled
Finally made some small cuts with the lathe tonight. Shallow,but played around with the rpm and feed. Put a bit of oil in all the oil cups while everything was spinning. There is not a cup on top of the cap on the tail end, and it had some warmth to it when done. Not hot, but the cap behind the chuck was still cool. Should there be an oil cup on the end one?
Paul

My Sheldon has two oil cups, one for each spindle bearing, so does my 30" L&S and 40" Hendey.

I'd imagine that you would need another one.

I'm not the most knowledgeable so this should be confirmed by someone that knows what they are talking about.

Have you checked the bearing clearance? (I'm assuming it has plain bearing with shims)

That could also cause it to get hot.

Still getting to know this thing. I am used to 'regular' old gear head engine lathes, so this is a new thing. (I'm still not sure I am going to even like this lathe in the long run, but it should let me do some piddling at home.) There are two plugs on that cap. When removed it looks like a screw under each one. Not sure if I should go ahead a put a few drops of oil in there?
It does have a large cup below each cap. Do the bearings feed off of that one?

Still getting to know this thing. I am used to 'regular' old gear head engine lathes, so this is a new thing. (I'm still not sure I am going to even like this lathe in the long run, but it should let me do some piddling at home.) There are two plugs on that cap. When removed it looks like a screw under each one. Not sure if I should go ahead a put a few drops of oil in there?

Since I don't have a SB or know much about them for that matter, I'm not sure what you referring to.

All I know is that things that turn need the proper clearance to do so and oil.

It does have a large cup below each cap. Do the bearings feed off of that one?

The large cups in front and slightly below the spindle bearings are the supply for the capillary oilers . The plugs on top of the bearing caps cover screws which tension the bearing expanders . The bearing caps should warm to the touch when adjusted properly .

Link to " noteworthy threads " in stickies above : http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/south-bend-lathes/noteworthy-threads-172821/
Good reading about spindle bearings and such .

Last edited:
Not sure if yours is an earlier vintage than mine(sounds like it is) but perhaps the thread related to mine in the link referenced to above may be of some help...

Mine is a 1946 vintage if I remember correctly.

Not sure if yours is an earlier vintage than mine(sounds like it is) but perhaps the thread related to mine in the link referenced to above may be of some help...

Mine is a 1946 vintage if I remember correctly.

Best I can figure by the serial number is mine is a 1943. Will check out the link as well, thanks.

Paul - I've adjusted my caps to the South Bend's specs and mine get warm too when on the highest speed. Just like yours - not hot, simply warm. I believe this to be normal.

Ted - This is normal, yeah?

Back